Light On Problems

Jukes

I've been trying to teach Jukes how to turn the light on and off
He already knows the 'touch' command and it was fairly easy to teach him what the 'light switch' was but when he jumps up he doesn't put his paws on the wall - he literally just jumps and touchs the light switch with his nose (too lightly for it to turn on).

I have no idea how to make him slow down a bit and touch the switch harder - any advice?
Thanks

Dodge

Oooook,my first attempt to put a link on from another thread :censored::sick:
You dont have to click on these links,if you just go to service aid training,you will find the video on there on how to train how to switch the light on,ooooh my I hope somebody will come along and put the proper link on for you O_o:LOL: its an awesome video(y)

fly30

Experienced Member
I taught Fly how to do this a few months ago and she actually jumped on the wall like mad and eventually reached the switch. That was a good start. I taught her that with a target stick so she had to manage to reach and touch it. Then, day after day, I just asked her to turn the light off in the morning. Now it's much better, just a matter of practice. The main problem is that the dog usually doesn't make the relationship between the light on and off and the switch. It may be a good idea to practice in a dark room so that the dog notices that his action has an impact on the light.
Here is the video of her first attempts a few months ago :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk09TIuMypw&feature=player_profilepage

Jukes

Thanks Fly for the video, Jukes has got it now, we did try it in a dark room with a better result and he can now turn the light off whenever we leave a room - very useful ;)

Elliot DMDS

Super Fly and Jukes! I didn't start with that one yet, since I am a bit scared for the walls of my rented apartment ;)
But again, there is a wonderful tutorial for that trick by Emily on youtube:

Jukes

Thanks Elliot DMDS, I know what you mean about the walls, luckily Jukes doesn't put his paws on them, don't know why he just doesn't :)

AOertle

I started working on this one with Bamm and he was turning the lights off with his paw... wondering if I should retrain him to do it with his nose like in kikopup's video... my issue with him using his paws is he was always scratching the walls around the switch first no matter how much we worked on it.