Learning To Skateboard

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you so much Danielle, sorry it took a while to post, Rakins being sick I'm all behind.:):rolleyes:

Awesome!:D(y) Missy sure has taken to skate boarding, she really seems to love it! Always wondered how you started to teach a dog to skate board, as when he's better I want to get one for Rakins, your vid has shown me how to start training.

Also, had to love the way Chase did his peek a boo and wandered around, he's such a lovely dog too and sure does love Missy and yourself.:D

Cannot wait to see Missy skate boarding all by herself, pushing off and everything, she's awesome!:D

southerngirl

Honored Member
It's actually a longboard, not sure what I was thinking when I posted Skateboard.:rolleyes: And yes Missy did pick up on it pretty quick. Both sessions were 10 min.
Chase kept trying to get treats so I would go off for a little while and do some simple stuff with him. Missy is a total brat to him when inside, she is constantly showing her teeth because she doesn't like him near me. But outside she is completely fine with him and loves playing with him.

skye lark

Wicked! I was looking for something new to teach my dog Skye, maybe I'll give this a try, I'm from uk is there any difference between a skateboard and a longboard other than the obvious answer of length?

MaryK

Honored Member
Thanks for explaining the difference. Now another question:D Which is best for a 'beginner' dog? Thinking of getting one now for Leafy. Not sure how 'brave' she'll be either. Anyway of 'experimenting first, with something else, before investing in a board?

southerngirl

Honored Member
I would just get a skateboard. I only got a longboard, because I wanted it for myself too. The longboard can really pick up speed which may scare leaf. Plus you probably want to work toward being like all the awesome skateboarding dogs on youtube. If I can ever get a job i will buy a skateboard for Missy.

Honored Member
Get a skateboard that fits your dog.

Holly's first skateboard was just the one I found in our shed, it belonged to my brother (but none of my brothers are really into skateboarding anyway so it had just sat there for years)
It was way too big and heavy for Holly (even on concrete) so all I really ended up using it for was getting her used to standing on something that moves:

So I bought Holly a little kids one, it was just the right size for her and was pretty cheap (about $15) and was nice and girly:

she learn't much quicker on the smaller skateboard.

Although this might not be such a big problem for larger dogs who fit a normal sized skateboard.

MaryK

Honored Member
Danielle. Thank you so much and WOW that dog is just awesome!!!!!!!!!!:D You're right, Leafy could well be scared of a long board, even though she's over her 'timidity' she's still a little 'wary' of anything really strange and new. Will get her a Skate Board(y) Will have to go over to YouTube and check out all the doggy Skate Boarders - guess it takes a while to get to the same prowess as the doggy in the video.

Holly's Mom. Thank you, you've just answered my next question - what type etc. of Skateboard. Leaf's pretty small too, probably a smidgeon bigger than Holly, but she's only 10.9 kilos and won't grow any more - she can walk straight under Zeus who's medium sized.

Love Holly's Skate Board, will look around for one like it, all lovely pink and girly, for Leafy, she's like Holly a true Fashionista:D (and the price is right too - I thought they were much more expensive, pleasant surprise)

btw - can see Holly looks much happier on her pretty girly and small skateboard, can see it in her eyes "Hey Mom, now this is just what a girl wants":D As opposed to "Mom REALLY!!!!!!!! this ones waaaay too big for little me":rolleyes:

Honored Member
If Leaf is 10.9kgs then she will probably be at least double Holly's size when she is fully grown (ie, put on adult muscles).

Holly weighs about 6.5kg and is very muscular, very stocky. She is 28.6cm tall at the shoulders. Lewis is taller than Holly and if you asked someone which dog is bigger they would always say "Lewis" but he weighs about 5.8kgs. Under that fur Holly is a similar build and size to a Pug, just a bit slimmer.

So Leaf will probably need a bigger skateboard than Holly. I could measure Holly's tomorrow if you would like so you can get an idea of size.
I bought Holly's at K-mart (not sure what the Australian equivalent would be) it was the smallest one and really was way cheaper than I was expecting. If I remember correctly there was another kids size that was bigger than Holly's but smaller than the one she originally had.

Good luck finding the right skateboard for Leaf, it could be her christmas present :)

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you Holly's Mom. I've just measured Leafy, she's 40 cm at the shoulder (almost twice Holly as you said) and from back of neck to base of tail is 48cm. She's quite muscular now, her trainer said she'll not grow any more, just 'strength' up in the joints etc.

Would appreciate Holly's measurements, to give me a good guideline.

We have K-mart here. I think Leafy will need the next Kiddies size up from Holly's. LOL because Leaf's way the smallest dog I've every had, I keep thinking she's 'very small' , it's all this downsizing, confusing me:D:rolleyes: Gotta get a pink girlie one though, and very good idea, get it for her Christmas Present, was wondering what to buy her, she's got quite a few coats, clothes etc. she and Holly will be able to have a 'fashion parade', as I know Holly's got some smashing gear, it's fun having a small dog, especially a girly one.:D