Kite Flying Jack Russell.

Maggiemoo

I am the owner of a Jack Russell, beautiful nature, loves people and dogs. She is a rescue dog nearly 4 years old, we sent her to school and got the basics right. Good "come" etc. We have one huge problem, she hates kites. She barks, yelps and makes horrendous noises at kites. We are very near Epsom Downs which is a paradise for dogs and all other creatures. Kite flyers love it too. We love walking on the Downs which is a misery when the kites are flying. What can I do to get this problem resolved? I have tried taking her near the kites and then back away, nothing helps. If allowed, she runs towards them and barks running around in circles under the kites. My fear is she would tear one to bits and I would then have a very big bill to pay! I have no idea what she thinks they are! Other dog owners say what a lot of noie from a small dog! Otherwise she is a fantastic dog!

Dogster

Honored Member
WELCOME TO DTA!!!!! GREAT JOB, for rescuing a dog!!!!! Beautiful, by the way!!!!:LOL:
(Sorry, I can't help with these kinds of problems, but I bet many other people can!!!!!)

bekah1001

Honored Member
Welcome! Umm not sure what to do but maybe you can buy a kite or if you have one : go
to a quiet place in the house and put the kite on the floor and every time she looks at it give her treat, then when she steps closer to it give a treat. Until she is comfortable with it being still you can try picking it up slowly (treat) then move it around slowly ( give treats!) Until she is comfortable with the kite moving slowly. You can try running with it and then work your way up to her being comfortable with you flying it. Or you can try BAT , behavior adjustment training. I'll try looking for the video for BAT.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
WELCOME!!! AND GOOD ON YOU FOR RESCUING A DOG!!!:D Your dog sounds lovely!! Feel free to post more pics!!

LOVED Bekah's post, i think her advice there rocks!!

here is Bekah's advice demonstrated in videos:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
OR this one: (parts of this next video apply to your situation, like Bekah explained in words) and GOOD ON YOU for trying to help a dog overcome her fears!! some ppl just think "there's nothing that can be done, the dog is too afraid" and don't even try.(?):oops:

so good on you for trying!! I bet you CAN help your dog overcome her fear!!! :D

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
yeah, that BATs is popular with some of the people on the dog-aggression boards i belong to. I think BATs can be especially good for shy dogs who have become aggressive, or shy dogs who have developed spillover, cross-over aggression towards dogs, too.

but, it always seems a lil less effective dogs with dog-aggression, which IS an entirely different disorder, than shy dogs have.

the point of BATS, is, when dog is calm, or offereing behaviours that you DO want, you reward dog by taking the dog AWAY from the dog or person they are aggressive towards.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Also,
dogs easily generalize OBJECTs.
Desensitizing a dog to OBJECTS, is almost invariably wayyyyyyyyyyy less work,
thann desensitizing a dog to living creatures.

dogs do not always easily generalize living creatures. A dog who likes the man next door, Bill, may NOT like the man across the street, Fred.
But that same dog, can be brought to be calm around all kites, or all plastic bags. And once the dog is cool with 4 or 5 different plastic bags,
is a really great chance, the dog will be cool with ALL plastic bags.
if the dog is desensitized to the plastic bags, i mean, at a subthreshold level, slowly advancing along.

I think removing fears in a dog is a great project and worthwhile goal. I hope you do not give up, and do keep trying to find a way, to remove this fear from your dog's life.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
In the BATs video, lots of us on the dog aggression boards notice,
whether the dog is calm,
or whether the dog is barking his head off,
the dog is removed away from the other dog.

either way, the dog gets same reward.

i can see why so few of us with DA dogs are able to get much benefit from this method, of giving same reward for our dogs barking/aggressing,
and same reward for our dogs being calm.

also, sadly, the dog tries to offer the best possible reaction to seeing the other dog, a SNIFF!!! A SNIFF IS MARVELOUS REACTION from a dog!! I LOVE IT when my dog offers another dog a sniff on the ground! I want to do handsprings when my dog does this.

yet, the human, apparently oblivious that her dog IS saying to the other dog "I'm no threat, i am just over here minding my own business" which DOES calm down all dogs,
but she drags her dog away, instead of letting her dog 'say' his message.......
when he was trying to signal to the other dog he has no bad intentions.

A dog sniffing the ground when he sees another dog, is the canine equivalent of a human holding up a peace sign.

i just find BATs confusing, to me, and to my dog, too.
BUT bats does seem more helpful to owners working with shy dogs who have escalated to aggression.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Getting dogs desensitized to OBJECTS is not that difficult, it's really not, imo. LIke Bekah's advice in "reply #3" is great, spot on advice, and well worth a try.