Keeping Him Calm After Getting Neutered?

Dlilly

Honored Member
We're picking Rory up from the vet tomorrow. We're suppose to keep him from jumping and running so he doesn't mess up his stitches.... Unless we drug him, I have no clue how I'll keep him calm.... I won't be able to talk him on a long walk, so he will be very hyper.... How can I keep him calm!??

When Delilah was fixed, she just slept for a few days. She was a tiny pup, and didn't have much crazy energy. <3 Rory is older and nuts....

Dogster

Honored Member
I think we gave Evie's owner some advice as to what to do. She had the same problem. I'll find the thread.:)

Pawbla

Experienced Member
It's very rare for male dogs to pull their stitches! It's rather common in females, but even the most hyper male dogs rarely pull their stitches.

By the way, that thread is full of good ideas, Dogster!

Dlilly, I hope you can calm your dog for the next days, I assume it's going to be SOME task! ;)

Anneke

Honored Member
I am trying to remeber what we did when we had Cooper neutered... It's over 4 years ago.

Actually, we had to go back to the vets the same day as we got a unexpected visitor he really, really loves. He backed up against the corner of the sofa and caused a vessel to spring, so his scrotum started swelling up:rolleyes: The vets drained it and fortunately there were no broken stitches.
For the next few days we went along as usual as far as I can remember. Normal walks(4 times a day is normal over here) Only onlead, not off lead. And in the house he had bones and some dogpuzzles to distract him.
I think after three days I went back to cycling with him as the wound was healing very well.

I also think it is worse for a female, because the wound is much bigger with her.
Cooper had no problem recovering from his surgery.

Dlilly

Honored Member
Thanks Dogster. :)

He took a long nap today, so thats good. He wants to jump on my brothers when he sees then, so that's a problem. But other than that, he's been pretty good.Still crazy, but not as bad as usual.

Pawbla

Experienced Member
Also the problem in a female is that they have to go through muscle and so, into the cavity. In a male, it's just a bit of skin, a little incision. What is more, some vet's don't even stitch it (although that is going a bit too far in most people's opinion, including mine).

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
Awwww - hope he feels better soon - my boys recovered much faster than my girls except for Luka who had a reaction to the iodine in the scrub and then to the stitches...goofy boy!

Dlilly

Honored Member
So, I should not be letting him do anything for 10 days.... Yesterday, he was going insane. I let him in the fenced
in yard to run around real quick, and he went back to his normal self. His stitches look okay, so I'm going to do it everyday. (or else we will both go insane!)

He is such a pain, he'll finish his cong ball in seconds. We bought him a giant bone for him to chew on, and he hates it. I have him some easy chews and he devoured then in minutes... Keeping him still is almost impossible.

My dogs are bone picky, they hate the little cheap treats Rory loves,
And they will only eat the big bones Rory hates. -_-

Evie

Experienced Member
Oh, Sorry. I only just saw this thread... but my vet did mention to me (after I went back there 3 days later worried that Evie's wound was a little swollen due to her not sitting still) that it's near impossible to keep these high energy breeds quiet and to just do the best you can - basically just stop unnecessary jumping and that even taking them for controlled walks is a good way to kill some of the energy without doing them any harm.

Sorry - wish I saw this post earlier :(