It Does Pay To Give Up

threenorns

for the longest time, i was trying to teach dandy to "orbit" (go backwards around me in a circle) to no avail - we would both just end up frustrated and annoyed.

since it was to prepare for backward leg weave, i just figure i was a dead loss at communicating that particular requirement and i modified the trick: he goes backward between my legs, then pops out forward to either side, spins around in front, then backward again.

two days ago, just for grins n giggles, i thought i'd give it a go - and he got it perfectly on the first run! not only that, but we don't have to be in the confined spot for him to do it - he'll do it in a wide open area, too. the only thing to work on is persistence (keep doing it until i say stop - right now, he does it once, then sits and waits for his treat; not a difficult thing to overcome).

so if a trick is going badly - or not going at all - just give it up and move on to something else. i don't know if it gives the dog time to percolate and process or if it gives time for my own frustration to blow off, but something about it works (same thing happened with peekaboo - didn't get it for the longest time, gave it up for a week, and then he got it perfectly after that)

DevonW

This happens with Thor all the time. I give up on a trick he's just not getting and move on work a few other things and then when I try a brand new trick all of a sudden he offers the one I gave up on perfectly. The latest was cover your eyes. He just wasn't getting it so I moved on to roll over (yes I never taught him this sooner) and he didn't want to roll over so he covered his eyes.

blacknym

Experienced Member
I haven't had that happen yet with Deja. As long as there is food she goes for it...at times not listening and throws around a few behaviours hoping it will get the treat. lol

Dlilly

Honored Member
This has happened to me too. Shiloh had trouble learning bow and to walk around me backwards. It was actually my fault both times, I wasn't luring properly. :p