Introduction - Laura (and Sam And Dan)

bordercollie05

Hi all,

I just rediscovered dogtrickacademy and though I'd introduce myself and my pups.

I have a life-long history in dog training and began in 4-H when I was 8 using the old choke-chain methods. I discovered clicker training and positive reinforcement a few years later and was hooked! Since then, I've been seeking as much information about how animals learn as possible. I just finished my master's degree in Applied Behavior Analysis which is the study of how the environment changes behavior. If you've heard of animal trainer Bob Bailey, he and his late wife Mariam were very involved in the field.

Since finishing school, I've moved to Portland OR where I am starting up my own animal training business. Here's the website: perkinsanimalbehavior.weebly.com

My older dog, Sam, is a 12 year old female border collie. I did agility with her for several years but then began college which interrupted her agility career. I'm planning to do some competitive obedience with her to keep her active and learning. She has a lot of obedience training but hasn't been to many competitions.

Just got my young dog a few months ago. His name is Dan and he is a BC as well, he's now 9 months old. His future hopefully holds agility and obedience as well, but for now we are working on basic commands, learning the shaping game, various simple tricks, and some foundations for competition.

I look forward to checking out all the videos and discussion on this site and can't wait to get to know you all.

Laura

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Hi Laura, welcome! Sounds like you're really busy, and can add lots to some discussions we get into. (y):D Can't wait to see lots of pics of your pups, engage in some great conversations, and you have fun on the forum!

Dogster

Honored Member
Welcome!!!!:) Glad you enjoy positive training!!!! Sounds like you'll fit right in!!! We'd LOVE to see some more pics of your dogs!!!!:D

MaryK

Honored Member
Welcome!!!:) You'll fit right in here we're all Positive Reinforcement Trainers.(y) Do post pics of your dogs please. I'm sure you'll love the discussion we have and be able to add a lot to them.:)