How To Mark The End Of A Training Session?

Lee&Dakota

I'm lucky, I work at home, so I can give my girl several sessions of training, nearly every day. Living in Minnesnowta most of that is just around the house right now.

At 2, she is an eager learner and can't get enough sometimes.

I am looking for a clear way to mark the end of a session she can understand.

What do you folks do to mark the end of a training session?

Gordykins

Experienced Member
Gordy is picking up on the fact that we end "just for fun" tricks sessions with a bow. Either way though, with just for fun stuff, or with any obedience training we do, we use his release words at the end of the session. For Gordy, those words are "Free dog!!!!" and he can do whatever he wants to do. Though, sometimes he does stuff that he really isn't allowed to do, and we'll jokingly say "not that free!!" :) Likewise, we don't use them until we are done with a session. After a down stay, for example, rather than releasing him like some trainers do, we go back to his left shoulder and will say "let's go!" or "Heel" and move to the next thing.

After we say "Free dog!!!!" we give him lots and lots of praise, and ear and tummy scratches, and no matter what we have just done, be it tricks, obedience, some of both, taking a walk, going on an outing, playing a game... absolutely anything and everything we do with Gordy, we always always tell him "Thank you for being such a good boy" and mean it. I get it that he might not know what exactly the words "thank you" mean, but I 100% feel like when I say something like that that comes hand in hand with honest feeling behind it, that Gordy gets the sentiment. And maybe I'm wrong on that part too, but I tell him anyway. He works so hard for me, and if there's the slightest chance I can let him know I appreciate it with a few kind words, and some scratches behind the ear, call me crazy all you want, but I do it, and always will. Same way I kiss him on the cheek and say "Love you" or "Goodnight."

MaryK

Honored Member
I always say 'playtime' and put the clicker away along with any treats which may be left, which isn't often. Ra Kismet will then race off and get his soccer ball and we have a game of soccer. Along with praise and lots of hugs (if I get a chance before he's off with his soccer ball).

I agree Gordykins with what you say about the meaning/intention behind the words, I too always thank my boys and give them a kiss goodnight and tell them I love them.:love: I too think they deserve a 'thank you' as they both work hard to please and deserve the same respect and courtesy that I would extend to a human.:)

Lee&Dakota

O.K.! I got it. Thank you all.

"All Done!" show empty hands, praise, pet,and thanks.

I'll make up my own little ritual around the bits you all have shared.

One thing that came into focus with asking this is that a *consistent* ritual will be quickly learned and understood. I wasn't being consistent.

Dogster

Honored Member
I say "All done!" or, "Yay, that's it!",then I put away the treats and the clicker to mark the end of my training sessions.:)

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
I also do the "all done", hands up, treats (& clicker if I'm using one) away.

Then I do try to make it a point to play with her for a bit (Sort of, "we did what I want, now we'll do what you want" :D)