How Dogs See The World And Colours

fly30

Experienced Member
Have you ever wondered why your dog didn't mind about the way you dress ? Why don't they mind about you wearing a green or a red coat ? Because all they can see is a yellow coat !!! :D

On top is what a dog can see. Below is what we, humans, can see. So the rumour saying that a dog can see in black and white is not true. He actually sees more or less like a color-blind person.

They can see much more of the world as their field of vision is much wider, due to the position of their eyes on each side of their head. However, the field where both eyes can see together is narrow and they cannot see details as we do.

(human on the left, dog on the right)

And they have a better night vision than we do.

Anneke

Honored Member
I knew they could see some color, but i didn't know how many colrs they could see. Interesting!
Wonder why Cooper prefers the orange tennisballs over the yellow ones, though,:D

Jukes

Thats very intresting - I didn't realise they couldn't see all the colours
@Anneke - I'd like to know the answer to that one too - Quest will always go for a red ball over an orange one - since she can't actually see the colours maybe she thinks the red one is hers cause it smells more like her or something? I always thought she liked red - lol :D

fly30

Experienced Member
Thanks Jukes, that's amazing ! They can see us with a green skin ! :eek: That's very frightening ! :D
All this means that if you want to be seen, it's best to wear blue or at least dark color clothing.