Hi My Name Is Julie And I Am From Guildford In Surrey. I Have A Nine Month Old Labrador Retriever.

How can a make him come back when he is having lots of fun.

• not sure what this is?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • not sure what this is?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Julie Brown

I am currently training him with a professional dog trainer. He is really good; sits, stays, walks to heal, retrieves. He is a really good little dog, however he jumps up at strangers, steals food from picnics and when he is playing with other dogs will not come back.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
WELCOME!! Feel free to post some photos of your dog!!

That is nice you do have a trainer. Make sure the trainer you are working with is a positive only trainer (no yanking on dog, no yelling, no hitting dog, etc)

// however he jumps up at strangers//

Easy, quickie 5 minute video:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//when he is playing with other dogs will not come back.//

This one is much harder to solve,
but, can be done.
First off, does dog come when he is not playing with other dogs??
LIke even from around mild distractions, even from distance?

If not, you have way more training to do.
Imo, recall is not something you just train, and then forget about it, at least, not for *my* dog. I practice recall with my dog almost every day, to keep it razor sharp.

Here are few threads on this topic, having dog come when called, which is referred to as "recall"
Some of these contain some easy tips,
like don't use your dog's name.
He hears his name all day long. etc etc.
http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/members/forums/threads/recall.4659/#post-37238

http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/members/forums/threads/recall-help-please.4055/

Dlilly

Honored Member
tigerlilly- Your videos didn't come up for me. I'm guessing you gave the link to kikopup videos… I'm going to add the links for people who also couldn't see it.

How To Teach Your Dog To Come:

How To Teach Your Dog To Not Jump Up:

How To Teach Your Dog To Not Table Surf:

Shiloh is 6 years old, and I'lm still working on recall with her. It is something we'll work on for her entire life!

Anneke

Honored Member
Sounds like you have a very normal young dog there;)
I have nothing to add to the videolist above.
And most of us are struggling with the recall. It is very hard to be more fun than another dog! But with a lot of training and some time it will improve!!

oh and welcome, of course!

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
As said above, we don't feel that we have conquered recall training it is something that you always work on...! Have you tried whistle training?

running_dog

Honored Member
The 4th post (Tigerlily's) on that thread is the method I used to teach my sister's 6 month old lab/collie recall and he is pretty good even with other dogs around BUT like Tigerlily says DON'T use the dog's name he hears that far too often... instead trick him into thinking you mean "I'm giving out chicken and liver and all things good and fun and tasty to the dog who's sitting in front of me right... now!" every time he hears his recall cue :D.

After I swanked about Gus's recall it has started to be weakened by non rewarding "pup-py" callers :(... just as well I trained a reserve recall cue :sneaky:.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//After I swanked about Gus's recall it has started to be weakened by non rewarding "pup-py" callers//

oh noooooooo.....i guess we should have seen that one coming, eh? bummer!!! Humans are harder to train than dogs, imo.