Help? Organizationally Impaired

k9 crazed

Experienced Member
Okay as pathetic as this sounds- I am having difficulty keeping track of the tricks we know and what I'm teaching and what I want to teach... Ugh, I just feel like I'm discombobbled! I've got two very differently abled dogs and two clear long term goals for each - then a lot of I wishes...

Does anyone else have a system that works, I mean I know lots of you have dogs that know way more tricks than mine, and also have multiple dogs.

I also really want to make sure and not lose what we already know.
Thanks!

Linda A

Experienced Member
I started out with the list of tricks for the 'Do More With Your Dog' titles. You can get the list on that site. I just check off the tricks as we learn them. We've also learned things not on the list so I now have a 'Word' document where I keep track of them. Bragging a little....Royal is now up to 132 tricks!!

Linda A

Experienced Member
To stay in practice we have a slip of paper for each trick. We draw five and practice them, then put those slips of paper into a different container, or the bottom of the pile. This way the dogs don't get bored doing the same things all the times and it gives them a refresher on a regular basis.

k9 crazed

Experienced Member
Thanks, southerngirl my simple list just wasn't cutting it.:(
I was willing to bet you had a system Linda A! Actually, just asking the question (silly as it seems and stupid as it made me feel) really helped me clarify in my mind what I wanted! I did like you suggest and have a list in word but I also did a list for in progress and for next up also goals so actually I made 4 lists and I'll make seperate ones for Diesel. I was already trying with the lists from Do more with your dog, but I didn't have one per dog and it wasn't clear enough to help me stay on track-also was running into the not on the list problem. That slip of paper trick is a super idea just right! so it's not the same all the time.:D Thank you so much! Yahoo! Maybe with this help my dogs will eventually join yours up there on that podium!

Linda A

Experienced Member
Thanks, southerngirl my simple list just wasn't cutting it.:(
I was willing to bet you had a system Linda A! Actually, just asking the question (silly as it seems and stupid as it made me feel) really helped me clarify in my mind what I wanted! I did like you suggest and have a list in word but I also did a list for in progress and for next up also goals so actually I made 4 lists and I'll make seperate ones for Diesel. I was already trying with the lists from Do more with your dog, but I didn't have one per dog and it wasn't clear enough to help me stay on track-also was running into the not on the list problem. That slip of paper trick is a super idea just right! so it's not the same all the time.:D Thank you so much! Yahoo! Maybe with this help my dogs will eventually join yours up there on that podium!
LOL! I don't have a list for what to do next as I never know what it will be. I just do what ever strikes me that day.

k9 crazed

Experienced Member
Yeeaah... I think doing whatever strikes me that day was part of my problem! Then I'd forget I'd even started or was halfway through... :confused: I kinda tend to bounce around...and it's not just dog tricks but everything else as well...sigh.​
I didn't quite name my lists right either cause next up is really goals more than tricks per say. Plus with my dog who is sort of different (like not at all a natural retriever) since I have to build the entire behavior if I break it down into steps it will help me stay motivated when I have things I can check off.
The actual list headings are for Rocket:
1. Tricks Known
2. Working On- this is the list of tricks we have started(-this is the problem area there are 24 on here)
3.Current Goal-for us right now this is the ITD title so there is a list of 15 or so that I took from the list (12 +some alts.)
4. Next Up this list has :
1. ATD +7 or 8 likely trick choices​
2. ETD +7 or 8 trick Choices​
3. Carting Title (the Berner Club will title other than their breed and the test is in May)​
4.TDCH​
5. Cyber RallyO​
Anyway, I think this way my lists will be useful and actually help me get things done. Now I'm going to make up those papers for review! Yay! I'm a Happy girl. Oh and Rocket and I started the long road to retrieving and he did really well so I'm extra pumped!(y)

k9 crazed

Experienced Member
Ah yes! But at least if I get distracted I can go through the ones in the box, eh? Like a back up! Course I don't imagine too many folks will be asking for my dogs list of tricks :rolleyes: LOL!

Mutt

Experienced Member
I have made a word document for their tricks (they both have their own) with two colloms:
tricks they know and tricks I have started with/I want to teach.
What can I say I like making lists and it is very helpfull as some tricks aren't done very often, this way I remember to do them once in a while :)
Me crazy? Not at all :whistle: :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO: