Hello!

alcastive

Hello Everyone, I've joined your community because i wish to learn more about dog tricks i hope i can learn how to teach my dog new tricks, it's not that easy to teach a hyper dog like mine lol

I have a Jack Russel Terrier female she's 1 year and 3 months old, but she's living with me since 3 months i adopted her recently :doghappy:

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Hi alcastive! Great to have you join the D.T.A. Which trick were you interested in training? I would recommend starting with easier luring tricks like turn around or crawl until you get the hang of things. :) Then the sky is the limit.

alcastive

Jean;23249 said:
Hi alcastive! Great to have you join the D.T.A. Which trick were you interested in training? I would recommend starting with easier luring tricks like turn around or crawl until you get the hang of things. :) Then the sky is the limit.
Thank you for replying :)

Well i managed to teach my dog to sit, stay, come, break, and go down, but i don't find a way to teach her to "roll over" and "play dead"

I found an amazing trick too which is "pray" where the dog take the praying position before eating but i guess this is hard for a JRT to learn since she is so hyper active :dogtongue2: lol.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
No problem. For roll over, take a look at this. I've given you access for a month to get you started. Pay close attention to the luring steps and how I bring the treat to get the roll over.

Have a great evening.
Jean

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
I would recommend starting with tricks that involve movement. Circles, spinning, figure 8, backing up, jumps (if they are old enough) etc.

Jesse is truly an incredible, talented dog. I hope seeing their videos inspires you and gives you a glimpse of what JRT's are truly capable of! Especially take note of the relationship that he shares with his owner and that they train exclusively with positive reinforcement! :dogbiggrin:

If you want to teach 'say your prayers' focus on the 'up' behavior first. Then work on increasing the duration by giving multiple treats when they are up. After that you can start working on luring the head down.
Continue to work on stays with your dog in various positions to teach self control. This will be beneficial for other tricks you might want to teach in the future as well.

Good luck!

alcastive

Not only i like the video too but i download it and showing it to my friends, i couldn't believe that JRT's are so smart and can be trained to do that! seems like it's a kind of pro training too

btw sasha can now "shake paw" thx a lot once again for the classroom access :)