Hello From Sweden

Amanda.G

My name is Amanda, I live in Sweden. Me and my boyfriend have a boxer male named Dan. I grew up with boxers in the family, so I'm used to dogs and can't imagine a life without one! I've also helped a Swedish dog trainer, who trained dogs for military work. Then I helped at a dog shelter in Ukraine and also studied a one month instructor course in Ukraine, This autumn I hope I'll get in to a school where I can study about dogs and then be able to work with them for a living. I'm tired of all punishment methods that are way too common in dog training. Especially after we bought Dan, he's afraid of pretty many things, have been poorly socialized and the breeder is well.... We bought Dan in Belarus when I studied Russian there and, the dog culture is very different there. She, and many other people wanted us to beat and choke Dan (you can't choke a dog to death according to her), let him pass out from choking and then leave him for 5-6 hours......... She knew a person who knew who to beat dogs, she knew where to hit the most effective..... Dan have improved much from clicker training, as soon as we bought him when he was 3 months we started to clicker train. He loves it and learn fast from it. I also believe that many problem with dogs can be solved with giving the dog sufficient amount of exercise. It's so sad about people who complain about that their dog is hyper, but they never do anything with it, and the dog just goes crazy from it. I also love interactive games, Dan also gets relaxed from it. The only problem is between my boyfriend and Dan, but that I'll start a separate thread about.

Here's a few pictures from our recent forest walk with Dan;

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Love the pictures and well done you for what you've written - that is a great frame of mind to have, keep it and you and Dan will grow together very positively from it! Clicker training is a brilliant and positive way to go with so many animals, especially dogs, and you will get your rewards from that and your views about exercise and end up with a very contented, lovely dog. I can, unfortunately, believe what you are saying about some other trainers methods but you are on the right track. Keep positive!

bekah1001

Honored Member
Omg that first pic is hilarious, I died of laughter!!!! Awe poor puppy, I'm so happy I switched to positive methods. I used to give them a little smack or tap on the nose but hug them immediately after because I felt so bad!
Oh and welcome! Everybody here uses positive training methods :) And I just noticed HE HAS A TAIL :p I love them with tails, I absolutely hate docked tails, I prefer more natural look. :LOL:

Anneke

Honored Member
Hi and Welcome!
I love the boxer happy face:D

Yes unfortunately still many people think you have to hit a dog to get it to listen:(
The breeder where I got one of my dogs is a great person, she is very good to her dogs, but she uses a chock collar to stop them from barking...Ugh!

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
And I just noticed HE HAS A TAIL :p I love them with tails, I absolutely hate docked tails, I prefer more natural look. :LOL:
Love the fact that you mentioned the undocked tail...!!!!!! I absolutely disagree with docked tails in any breed. Dogs are born with tails for a reason - balance primarily! Humans deciding that certain breeds should not have the tail they are born with is soooo wrong!

southerngirl

Honored Member
I love the first pic., too cute.:ROFLMAO: That's wonderful that your saved him from that cruel life. I don't understand how someone could hurt a dog who just wants to please you. I't's great that your using clicker training, it helps create a strong bond with your dog. Also I love that his tail isn't docked I've never seen a Boxer without it's tail docked. Can you please post a pic of him sideways so we can see his tail.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
WELCOME AMANDA G!! I LOVED LOVED LOVED YOUR EVERY SINGLE WORD, i sure do!!
i will have to read it all again, just to enjoy your thoughts on things all over again!!
AND SUCH CUTE DOGS!! LOVE 'EM!!

Hope to see you around here a LOT!! You WILL find many like-minds here on THIS dog site!!

Dogster

Honored Member
WELCOME!!!!! I agree with absolutely EVERYTHING you said wrote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D I LOOOOVE Dan's tail!!!!!!!!!!!!:love:
Hi and Welcome!
I love the boxer happy face:D
Haha!!!:ROFLMAO: I LOVE it too!!!!!!! You take great pics!!!!!:)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//It's so sad about people who complain about that their dog is hyper, but they never do anything with it, and the dog just goes crazy from it.//

i so so agree! lotta ppl feel overwhelmed by it, or unsure what to do to help their dog spend his mental and physical energy, and have no idea how to elicit some calm behaviors, either....
THAT one is a biggie for many many many ppl.....

Amanda.G

Thanks for all the positive comments!

Dan is from Belarus, but in all eastern European countries it's legal to dock and crop but more and more breeders choose not to do it. In Sweden cropping have been forbidden since 1949 and docking since 1989 (I've heard a lot of stupid views why you should dock a dogs tail, like it can break something inside the house, but don't get a dog i you're afraid something with its tail....).

Here's a few side pictures of Dan:

Dogster

Honored Member
LOOOOVE the tail SOOO MUCH!!!! (I haven't actually seen a boxer with his tail yet, Dan is the first one) I agree with Sweden as well!!!!:ROFLMAO:

Dlilly

Honored Member
Love the fact that you mentioned the undocked tail...!!!!!! I absolutely disagree with docked tails in any breed. Dogs are born with tails for a reason - balance primarily! Humans deciding that certain breeds should not have the tail they are born with is soooo wrong!
I also love the tails and ears! I think it's adorable!! It's cool you're from Sweden! My great-grandparents are from Sweden. I really want to move there. :p