Hello from Crysta and Hannah!

hannahhusky

Hello, I'm new here. I have had a Siberian Husky for about a year and a half now, but decided she needed a bit of training. I looked into obedience schools, but I live some what in the middle of no where and with my job, the travel was just too much. I also found a woman near by who offered to train her, but her strategies were choker chains and shock collars...which I really did not like. I had accepted that this is something I will want to do myself when Hannah the Elusive decided to make a great escape. She managed to jump my six foot security fence at around 3:30 in the morning when I let her out to do her business. I thought I had taken enough precautions when I learned of her digging fascination (I dug a trench around the entire fence, and filled it with concrete), but apparently a six foot fence may not be high enough. And locating her in the dark? Forget about it. I searched all night, and I did not find her for SIX HOURS. I was losing my mind. I had contacted my vet, the micro chip company, broadcasted it on Facebook, and was in the process of printing posters when she actually returned home on her own, which I still cannot believe. It was then that I decided I needed to get more control over her. She has gotten out in the past (usually when my brother's son left a door open before we realized it), but we usually got her back within 15 minutes or so. She had made it all the way across town, but we got her back fairly quickly....compared to 6 hours. Anyway, I hope that this website will help me bond with her, and break her easily distracted behaviors, without resorting to negative reinforcement. I do not have any pictures of her on this computer, however here is a link to a video I have of her. She hates the sound of a "meow." :)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCydBw0Vjp8[/media]

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Welcome to the Academy! I have owned escape artists before and believe me, I feel your pain! Training will help her boredom a lot--it may not "cure" her desire to escape, but she may be less likely to want to venture out. Check out the classroom to help you out with her training, and if you have any questions at all, post it in the forum. There are many helpful, knowledgable members here who would be happy to help you find answers. Good luck, and enjoy the site!