Hello Everyone

rosefay77

Hi everyone. I'm Rose from Malaysia. Currently i have a silky terrier by the name of Timothyboy who is 6 yrs old.

He does do a couple of tricks. eg : giving his paw, begging, lay down, dance in circles standing on his hind legs. and the cutest of all is when i ask him if he want he's snack or food. just one bark for YES and he does it. :dogtongue2:

Overall Timmy is a darling but he has 1 problem. Whenever he's upset with me(when i leave him alone at home), he'll show his tantrum by peeing near my oven or fridge in the kitchen and i do not know how to stop him from doing this.

He knows he's not suppose to do it coz he'll be happy and excited whenever i'm back but when i walk to the kitchen he runs and hide under the dining table. When he does that, i know there'll a present for me on the kitchen floor near the fridge or oven.:msnrolleyes:

I've tried being firm and scolding him (Bad boy, Naughty boy...etc), punishing him by making him sit near the area he soiled (aft i've cleaned it up of course) and giving him the silent treatment but nothing works. Pls help me.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
First of all, dogs do not pee places to punish us. They pee because they need and want to. Has he been neutered? If not, this could be a huge part of the problem.

At a time that you are NOT going to work or school or shopping, etc, go about your morning exactly like you would on a normal going-out day. Close him up as normal, walk into another room or out the door, and IMMEDIATELY come back. If he has not soiled anywhere, praise him and be EXTREMELY happy(but not yelling, just happy). Do this over and over again and slowly increase the time that you are away. Always take him outside before you leave for the day, and don't get impatient. If you don't want him peeing in the house then make sure he pees outside before you close him up.

Second of all, dogs don't remember peeing on the oven 3 hours ago. Therefore, your scolding when you get home means absolutely nothing to him because he peed a long time ago and doesn't remember. He's hiding because you've gotten into a habit of scolding him everytime you enter the kitchen, and he doesn't know why he's getting scolded. If you do not catch him in the act or right before, then it does absolutely NO GOOD to scold him even just 2 minutes later. It has to be right then or before. Making him sit by the area means nothing to him.

THOROUGHLY clean the area where he has been peeing and buy a repellent to spray here, heavily. Do these things DAILY and do not ask too much for him. Increase your time away very slowly so that you aren't expecting too much good from him. He will improve if you stick to these methods and stay consistent.

Good luck to you, and welcome to the Academy!

ready4pro

House Breaking.

DOGS ARE A RELATIONSHIPS I CANT UNDERSTAND IF YOU DONT TELL ME!! ITS THE LITTLE THINGS THAT MATTER. TREAT YOUR PUP LIKE A NEW MATE (LOL!) SHOW PRAISE FOR THE THINGS THAT YOU WANT...WHAT EVER YOU START TO EXCEPT IS WHAT YOU WILL REJECT!!!! THIS HAS WORKED WITH ALL MY DOGS...:dogtongue2::dogtongue2:

tx_cowgirl;13190 said:
First of all, dogs do not pee places to punish us. They pee because they need and want to. Has he been neutered? If not, this could be a huge part of the problem.

At a time that you are NOT going to work or school or shopping, etc, go about your morning exactly like you would on a normal going-out day. Close him up as normal, walk into another room or out the door, and IMMEDIATELY come back. If he has not soiled anywhere, praise him and be EXTREMELY happy(but not yelling, just happy). Do this over and over again and slowly increase the time that you are away. Always take him outside before you leave for the day, and don't get impatient. If you don't want him peeing in the house then make sure he pees outside before you close him up.

Second of all, dogs don't remember peeing on the oven 3 hours ago. Therefore, your scolding when you get home means absolutely nothing to him because he peed a long time ago and doesn't remember. He's hiding because you've gotten into a habit of scolding him everytime you enter the kitchen, and he doesn't know why he's getting scolded. If you do not catch him in the act or right before, then it does absolutely NO GOOD to scold him even just 2 minutes later. It has to be right then or before. Making him sit by the area means nothing to him.

THOROUGHLY clean the area where he has been peeing and buy a repellent to spray here, heavily. Do these things DAILY and do not ask too much for him. Increase your time away very slowly so that you aren't expecting too much good from him. He will improve if you stick to these methods and stay consistent.

Good luck to you, and welcome to the Academy!