Hello Everybody! Just To Intro Myself

Hi all,

Thank you for letting me join this forum.

I am proud owner of 3 well trained toy poodles and would like to learn more from all of you.

Hope to gain more knowledge and impart some of mine too!

running_dog

Honored Member
Welcome to dog trick academy :)

Poodles are fantastic little dogs (except standard poodles, they are fantastic big dogs :cool:). I go walking with a friend's standard poodle quite often. They are very very clever.

There is a whole pack of 7 or 8 toy poodles plus a terrier that go walking at the woods near where I live. They are all rescues and mostly elderly and a bit blind and deaf. One time I saw two big dogs come hurtling towards them and I was worried about what would happen but the owners seemed completely unconcerned. I soon found out why, before the big dogs got close the terrier charged at them and sent them away until they could come and greet the poodles politely! The poodles obviously have a wonderful life now but it made me sad to realise that there are so many poodles that need rescuing. Perhaps it is because they often have elderly owners who maybe can't keep them.

What are your dogs called? What tricks do they know? Do you do any dog sports with them?

Hi Running dog,

My Poodles names are Brownie, Magic and Honey.

Brownie was supposed to be a toy poodle but over the years it has outgrown to become a miniature poodle. Maybe the food was too good.haha

Brownie knows the basic obedience commands such as sit, heel, stay and down. She knows how to roll over, fetch, open and close doors, high five too. Magic and Honey are still learning though.

Yeah, I love poodles and I feel great that you have set up this friendly community to get everyone together.

Really appreciate your efforts!

running_dog

Honored Member
Brownie was supposed to be a toy poodle but over the years it has outgrown to become a miniature poodle. Maybe the food was too good.haha

Brownie knows the basic obedience commands such as sit, heel, stay and down. She knows how to roll over, fetch, open and close doors, high five too. Magic and Honey are still learning though.
Some one must have forgotten to tell Brownie that he was a toy poodle... or maybe her character was so big that her body had to grow to fit it!

Do you use a clicker to train them? And do you use free shaping? Poodles seem to have the ultimate free shaping dog characters somehow.

Got to go... :( was hoping to get a lot of replying done and instead the humans of my house are insisting I need to be elsewhere :mad:

Caiti

Experienced Member
Welcome to the DTA! Your poodles sound adorable, I'm sure you'll make a great addition! To backup what running_dog said, poodles are so lovely to train and are incredibly fast learners. In my experience, they respond very well to the clicker as well. They are such wonderful dogs and one of my favourite breeds. One of my own dogs is half miniature poodle.