Head Toss

southerngirl

Honored Member
How do you teach a dog to toss her head backwards? I tried luring Missy to toss her head backwards but she begs because that's how I taught her. Any ideas?

Dogster

Honored Member
I taught Shivon to do it with a cup in her mouth. I taught her to grab the cup, then I placed my hand above her head and told her to touch. It wasn't a hard trick to teach, Shivon "got it" after two sessions.
Hope this helps!!:)

Mutt

Experienced Member
I taught Boef to look up with nose targetting. I would place a bar with a post-it on it above her head and ask for a touch (she already knew this and would touch the bar), this way she gained muscle memory. I quickly would fade the post-it. I than started introducing the cue ('up') and than faded the bar.
Here you can see what I mean:

sara

Staff member
I was shapingMouse to back up, and accidentally clicked a head toss... she then offered a head toss as she was backing up every time... so I have a head toss, but no back up! LOL

Figgy McNutty

Capturing the behavior is probably your best bet, sit on a chair with your dog in front of you and wait until you get a slight upwards movement in the head then you can capure and shape this into a head toss. Hope this helps

southerngirl

Honored Member
Capturing the behavior is probably your best bet, sit on a chair with your dog in front of you and wait until you get a slight upwards movement in the head then you can capure and shape this into a head toss. Hope this helps
Thank You!! I've tried to use targeting but it wasn't working. I'll try this today.:D