Gypsy The Weimaraner

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Gypsy is a special pup. :) She is a misfit for sure! Gypsy's life started out as the result of a backyard breeder, and was the last pup left when a relative of mine took her home. She named her Riley and had her until she was 2 years old, then moved into the city and didn't have room for her. I couldn't have any more mouths to feed at the time, and my friend was looking for another dog. She fell in love with her and re-named her Freya. After a year, my friend moved into a smaller place and again the Weim girl didn't have enough room. So, the sucker ended up with her. :) Being that I was her third owner, and I didn't really like the name Freya, I thought Gypsy was fitting. Gypsy has been a part of our furry family for a year now, and she is here to stay!

Gypsy is an oddball in every way. She is unusually small for a Weim, has frog eyes, and is adorably...well, dumb. My husband put it best just the other day..."Even when she's running, you can just tell she's lost. 'I'm running, I'm running, but I have no idea why!'" Lol. If any of the other dogs start to bark at something, she goes running in the same direction barking, but very clearly has no clue what is going on. She is absolutely desperate for friendship, and instantly falls in love with anyone and anything that shows her an ounce of attention. This means Gypsy knows no enemies. :) Gypsy can be pretty overwhelming to other dogs, but even if they tell her off, she is just as happy as can be. Life is perfect in Gypsy's world. Absolutely nothing is scary, everything is worth investigating, and it's always fun to do things for no reason at all. :LOL: Despite her intellectual deficiency, she really is very trainable. I have yet to figure out why, but it works, so okay!! Lol. She is extremely eager to please and loves snuggling.

She used to have a really tough time handling herself. When I first met her she literally could not sit still when she was getting pet. The second you touched her she was a wriggling, squirming, spinning, goofball. I literally had to teach her to sit still while you pet her, lol! She is a sweetheart, and I couldn't imagine not having her around. Oh, and she smiles! :)

Her trick list is pretty short right now, but we're working on it! She currently knows:
Sit
Stay
Come
Spin
Touch
Wait
Weave
Drop it
Get off/Get up

Here she is!

Freya.jpg

southerngirl

Honored Member
She sounds like a goofball.
She used to have a really tough time handling herself. When I first met her she literally could not sit still when she was getting pet. The second you touched her she was a wriggling, squirming, spinning, goofball. I literally had to teach her to sit still while you pet her, lol! She is a sweetheart, and I couldn't imagine not having her around. Oh, and she smiles!
Missy is like that too. The instant you touch her she goes crazy, wriggling, and squirming like your Gypsy. I never did teach her to sit still. I enjoy the entertainment of her squirming and making noises.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Blacknym, she is for sure! :)
Danielle, haha she still wants to go nuts when you pet her...she sits still and you can tell it's taking every ounce of her self control, and then if I tell her, "Okay, go crazy!" then she's all wiggles again. :ROFLMAO:
OH funny that you mentioned noises...she is also quite the talker. Lol she has some pretty interesting things to say sometimes.

MaryK

Honored Member
Oh she's just adorable!!!!!!!!!:love: Love her name too:love: I don't think she has a deficiency, she REALLY knows how to love life, nothing is scary and hey, I just love to run for the fun of it, LOL love her attitude:LOL:

I would love her squirming when she's patted and her conversations, she sure has a lot to tell you, 'hey Mom life's grand, enjoy it, just for the fun of it all'.:D

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Lol you're right MaryK! My husband and I have had conversations about how simple life would be if we could all live like Gypsy! :LOL: Completely oblivious to anything negative in life. If she were human she would most definitely be the ultimate optimist. She sure knows how to focus on all the good things in life!

She's really automatic too once she learns something. I don't know if it's because she's so smart that her behaviors don't have to be "proofed" as much in various different situations, or if she's so dumb (and I mean that in the best way, lol I love my Gypsy to death so really not trying to sound like I dislike her at all!) that she doesn't know how to focus on too many tasks at once, so she just focuses on what you're asking her. Either way it's a plus. Once you teach her something and she knows what it means with no distractions, she's automatic in any situation. I can literally teach her a behavior at home in the living room, then take her to Petsmart and ask her to do the same thing with no problems. I play a game with all the dogs when we're playing fetch...first dog to respond to the cue I give gets the toy. Even though she has way less training than Z and Mud, she wins quite a bit! :love:

MaryK

Honored Member
Gypsy should write a book on how to live life, she's got it to a "T"(y):D Nothing negative, just enjoy and have fun, take the world as it comes, don't worry about what may happen, cuz it may not happen anyway. Would love my boy to have such focus, he'll perform at home, but outside 'hey what's happening over there" he's a total nosy parker. Again Gypsy is right, focus on the task at hand, no distraction. Yes, definitely think this young lady is a budding author on "How To Live Life" - from a dog's point of view! Would be a best seller and many humans would learn a lot.

LOL never thought for a moment you disliked her, quite the opposite, it's only people who really love their dogs who can write about them like that, and you love your dogs, all of them, that's for sure.