Great New Kikopup Video

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Emily has a new vid! I love it, personally, and think it's a great idea to develop a term that applies ONLY to positive training, REAL positive training. She brings up a great point that many trainers refer to themselves as "POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT TRAINERS" when really this may be only a small part of their training. Aside from trainers on YouTube, trainers on this website, and my clients, I know NO ONE who trains with solely positive methods. But, I know LOOOOOTS of people who claim to be "POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT TRAINERS." So I agree with Emily that a new term is needed to replace the overused and misunderstood old ones. Aside from that, I really just enjoyed this video and have ideas for new tricks. ^^

Ina

Thanks for posting this Tx.

I feel so very small when I watch Emily's videos. Small little me with my small little clicker and my small little dog still doing small little tricks - will we ever get to this kind of perfection ??? <sigh> :unsure:

<puts on positive thinking cap> YES WE WILL because Smokey is only 6 months old which means we have many MANY years to practice and learn :D

sara

Staff member
Heck, YOU feel small! At least YOUR dog is just a baby... I've got dogs aged 2, 2.5, 7, 8, and 9 and we're NO WHERE near that level! and what's worse, I KNOW Oliver and Scout could EASILY have reached that level... with a different trainer!

Ina

Sara, don't be so hard on yourself. Didn't you watch my video trying to teach the weaving <snicker> I am the worst with my fidgety hands everywhere ;-)

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Lol, I feel like the little kid with the lollie and the blanket, gazing up with starry eyes.
This is me every time I watch Emily and Silvia. But, at the same time I know that this is pretty much ALL they do. Emily has her painting, but aside from that she's a dog trainer. That's what she does. Silvia's JOB is to train dogs, and that's it. She lives in a breathtakingly gorgeous country and gets to experience that on a daily basis, with her dogs. I do so envy her. :love:
I, on the other hand, am a college student, and work full time. I SOOOO wish that one day, I will be able to devote that much time to my dogs, especially since I am going into Animal Behavior/Assistance Dog Training.

SOMEDAY, that will be my job too!!! I CAN'T WAIT! :D

Lol, it's funny that you mention the "small little tricks." I looove getting a new client, because I get to start with a clean slate. I love getting to start from the very beginning, it's so much fun! I haven't gotten to teach my own dogs the simple stuff in a very long time, so they feed my creativity by having to figure out new tricks and work out how to train them, and my "students" feed my need to work with a clean slate again. ^^