Found This Article On A Horse Group That I'm Part Of...

jackienmutts

Honored Member
What a crock of x&*%. So good to know the "positive reinforcers are out of date". Don't know what else to say, except that that's 10 min of my life I won't get back. One more person drinking Cesar's koolaid and loving every minute. Science doesn't matter, only Cesar's charm and the fact that he says so. Nice. *shaking head here* :confused:

Evie

Experienced Member
Gosh it's nice to hear some sense after reading all the replies about how awesome cesar is and how it makes the dogs happier by them being punished for doing things wrong ... as that's what dogs to each other so therefore it must be the right thing to do :rolleyes:

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Wow. It says it right in the article (although they're trying to promote Ceaser by saying it), and Ceaser doesn't even get it. "An obedient dog is not always a happy dog". Exactly Ceaser. Just because you have these extremely obedient dogs, doesn't mean they're happy. Sure, his method of training works, I've seen the results, but personally, I'd rather have my dog be obedient and do what I say because she thinks it's fun, because it makes her happy when I'm happy- not because she's afraid to not be obedient, not because she thinks I'm stronger than her and she better do what I say. And I would think anyone who really loved their dog would feel the same way.

They say positive reinforcers are the ones behind the times. The dogs are truly happier when they're showed who is boss, and corrected (basically a nice term for punished) when they do the wrong thing. But you can clearly see which dogs are happier. For example, when I was at an obedience trial the other day, I was watching as two people competed against eachother. I knew one person, and I had seen the other person train. The first person taught solely using positive reinforcement. The other person taught using the Ceaser Millan kind of training methods. You could see the difference. Very clearly. The first person's dog was wagging his tail the entire time. Having a blast. When they were done, he lavished his owner in kisses. He loved her and he loved obedience. The other person's dog looked pretty indifferent when he was in the ring. He really didn't want to be there. When they finsihed he basically just walked away. Which dog would you rather have?

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Commenting on how I said that correcting your dog is basically the same thing as punishing your dog- I don't think that's how it should be. I think corrections are good. But people don't understand what it means to correct something. They put it hand in hand with punishment. But that's not what correcting means. If you wrote a paper, and had someone correct your paper, they wouldn't come back telling you how horrible your paper is and tell you to look at all those horrible mistakes you made. They come back and show you how to do better. They help you. That's what you should do when you "correct" your dog. You realize that they don't understand, and so you help them understand.

Sorry for rambling on ;) , but it really bothers me when someone "corrects" their dog by yanking on their prong collar, or yelling at them, or giving them a smack on the nose. Ugh, I could talk for hours about things I disagree with Ceaser on, haha.

Gordykins

Experienced Member
So... am I crazy? If they wouldn't talk down on positive reinforcement training, and wouldn't talk Cesar up... I actually agree with a lot of things in the article.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
So... am I crazy? If they wouldn't talk down on positive reinforcement training, and wouldn't talk Cesar up... I actually agree with a lot of things in the article.
No, you're not crazy. I think a lot of the things in the article are true, and I agreed with a lot of it. It's just hard to appreciate the truth in the article when they are saying how great Ceaser is, and how positive reinforcers are out of date.