Fostering Dogs

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
I want to start fostering dogs when Remi gets a little older. But was wondering if its a tough process to get approved by the rescue groups and everything. Will having two dogs matter? Or any other animals for that matter. This has been something I've been wanting to do for a while, and am just afraid any group I try will say no. I might be getting my own place soon, and was wondering what I should do now to prepare for something like that, before I contact any rescue groups. I might be over thinking everything, but I'd rather be safe the sorry when it comes time.(y)

sara

Staff member
Every rescue group is different, however, most of the time, it's easier to get approved for foster than to adopt LOL. Pick a group you would like to foster for, then download their foster application (assuming they have on online) look it over. Most groups prefer that you have other animals, it helps the dog socialize and it helps the group learn what the dog is like.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
WONDERFUL!! :D The world needs more ppl like you!!

Yes, Sara is right.
Contact your local rescue group, (there are usually several to choose from)
and talk to them. Explain you are a rookie at this, so you will get an easier dog. (i'd assume they'd know that, but, just to be sure they don't send you home with a dog with major issues on your first time).
Also, if you are young person, before you fill your home up with more dogs, do consider what your life will be like in 5 years...or 10 years.
Fostering usually has option, if you get in dire pinch, the dogs you foster can, with some effort and time, be rehomed to another foster, but, it's work. My point is, if you are going to be leaving for college,
or taking on new carreer where you travel or work 40+ hours a week,
or will studying/working/partying/dating a lot/having roommates or sweeties who are allergic to dogs, etc, etc, it's only fair to you, and to the dogs, to consider how your life might be different in a few years....... than it is now.
however,
fostering is usually a temporary situation, one dog at a time,
not a long term thing anyway.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
also, there are many ways one can help out dogs in need, even if a person can't foster one.
One can participate in driving dogs from one place to another,
volunteering at the dog pound, whether it's cleaning or helping play with or train the dogs,
donating to the dog pounds, etc etc.
Lots of ways to pitch in and help various rescue orgs, from paper work to making calls, "Rescue Festivals", when they need extra hands to display dogs in need in front of Petsmart, etc,
even doing home visits for screening the applicants (not good idea for young, i'd think in pairs is safer).

lots of ways to help out dogs in need.

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
WONDERFUL!! :D The world needs more ppl like you!!

Also, if you are young person, before you fill your home up with more dogs, do consider what your life will be like in 5 years...or 10 years.
Fostering usually has option, if you get in dire pinch, the dogs you foster can, with some effort and time, be rehomed to another foster, but, it's work. My point is, if you are going to be leaving for college,
or taking on new carreer where you travel or work 40+ hours a week,
or will studying/working/partying/dating a lot/having roommates or sweeties who are allergic to dogs, etc, etc, it's only fair to you, and to the dogs, to consider how your life might be different in a few years....... than it is now.
I'm 18 but I already run a business with my mom, been doing it since I was 11 but am now old enough by state laws and such. We do in home daycare, but its in a different part of the then where we live. So I am home all day, unless going some where with the kids. If I go to college it will be community. Any career I try to take on will be hopefully have to do with dogs. //partying/dating a lot// :ROFLMAO: I have no desire for partying. I am such an awkward person that is that last thing on my mind (I live for my dog and my roommates) . I've also been with someone for 2 years, and am happy so hopefully it will stay that way. :) I feel like I have a pretty easy going life and now is a good time for it. I am considering the future as you said. But I'm hoping now is a good time in my life to finally do it. BUT none the less I've got some thinking to do! :rolleyes: