Female Jrt Peeing In Bed

rgasparotto

Hi. I have 2 Jack Russells that stay outside during the day and do their business outside and at night come in to sleep. They are taken in at 7 PM after being made to pee and are put to bed at 9:30 PM after another pee. Sometimes (once a week) the female (who is spayed), pees on the blanket where she sleeps. She sleeps together with her brother in a dog bed. Both dogs hate peeing on the cold wet grass at night but do fine during the day. She doesn't bark or scratch to go outside - she just pees in her bed. Both dogs were crate trained and didn't pee in their crates. What can I do ?

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Forgive me if I've missed another thread with this info - you don't give the ages of your JRTs. How old is your female? I'm wondering if she's really peeing, or possibly instead becoming a bit incontinent? It's not uncommon for spayed females to become incontinent at some point in their lives - I'm wondering if this has happened to your girl. She may not be peeing, but leaking in her sleep. Have you actually seen her peeing? It's possible it's happening in her sleep and she doesn't even realize it - which would explain her not alerting you of her need to go outside. I'd recommend a vet visit to make sure there's not a UTI or anything else medical, but my bet is, your girl just can't make it thru the night. Have you tried getting up during the night and letting her out briefly every night? She may need one potty break mid-way thru the night (even tho she's not asking for one). Your vet can help you with age/spay related incontinence if that's what it turns out to be. For the time being, I'd try taking her out mid-way thru the night (sorry, but if you have to go, you have the ability to get up and go - she doesn't, and possibly isn't waking up to even realize that she needs to).

Someone else may have another suggestion or idea.

rgasparotto

Forgive me if I've missed another thread with this info - you don't give the ages of your JRTs. How old is your female? I'm wondering if she's really peeing, or possibly instead becoming a bit incontinent? It's not uncommon for spayed females to become incontinent at some point in their lives - I'm wondering if this has happened to your girl. She may not be peeing, but leaking in her sleep. Have you actually seen her peeing? It's possible it's happening in her sleep and she doesn't even realize it - which would explain her not alerting you of her need to go outside. I'd recommend a vet visit to make sure there's not a UTI or anything else medical, but my bet is, your girl just can't make it thru the night. Have you tried getting up during the night and letting her out briefly every night? She may need one potty break mid-way thru the night (even tho she's not asking for one). Your vet can help you with age/spay related incontinence if that's what it turns out to be. For the time being, I'd try taking her out mid-way thru the night (sorry, but if you have to go, you have the ability to get up and go - she doesn't, and possibly isn't waking up to even realize that she needs to).

Someone else may have another suggestion or idea.
Hi. Thanks for the reply.

My Jackies are about 2 years old now. She was spayed 1.5 years ago. I also thought it was incontinence but she can go for 10 days without peeing in the bed so I assumed it wasn't ?

blacknym

Experienced Member
I might be...and i suggest the vet as well just to be sure. You might try a doggie diaper at night. :)

Honored Member
What time do you let them out in the morning?

It could be that on the days she wets the bed you let them out just a fraction later than normal and she can't hold on.

Or if she is normally near the limit of how long she can hold on then just having a little bit extra to drink some days could be enough to cause her to wet the bed.

charmedwolf

Staff member
It could very well be incontinence. Even if she doesn't always do it certain nights. I would second the vet visit. It could either be hormonal (she doesn't have an enough estrogen) or physical (They snipped her too close when doing the spay). For hormonal they usually give you estrogen pills but physical is a little harder because the damage is pretty much done.

What has helped me with my incontinence dog is Apple Cider Vinegar. Odd, I know but if you put a little in their water (Don't worry it won't hurt your boy) it helps it tremendously. Another thing, I usually put the dogs to bed about 2 hours before I go to bed. Then before I go to bed, I wake her up to let her go pee and then put them back to bed.

blacknym

Experienced Member
Ill have to remember the ACV for the future. Deja is spayed so dont know what will be in the future. She is only 1.5y right now.

Evie

Experienced Member
Just wanted to double check that you supervise them when you put them out for a pee at 9.30? Because if you're just putting them outside for 5-10 minutes and assuming that they go toilet in that time they may not be.... and that could be the cause of your problem - which I hope is what happening as it'd be a much easier problem to fix!