Dotty - Jack Russell Cross

Dotty was found dumped outside a local police station, she had one other home before coming to live with us aged approx 6 months old.

Dotty is a 5 year old girly, she'll eat almost anything unless it's green she has a canny knack of spitting out anything green haha! She can do the basics, sit, down, stay, wait for it (leave it), paw, as well as jumping through an agility hoop. Our latest challenge is picking things up and handing them to me, as I'm disabled I figured this would be a pretty handy one to learn. She isn't a naturally mouthy dog so that's our first step, we've moved from putting her mouth around a rawhide chew to putting her mouth around a chop stick and it is gradually getting closer to the ground, today is our first day doing this and I think that's a pretty good start!
We're off to adult obedience on Wednesday which is exciting, Dotty has some fear issues after being attacked by 2 GSDs so being accepted to a dog training class has taken quite a long time. I'm hoping one day we can do distance obedience together.

A couple of photos for you.....

Christmas pup

pretending to be a spaniel

waiting to see the vet when she had a cough (just incase it was kennel cough)

pillow hog

posing at my birthday party

hiding from fireworks

keeping the rabbits safe

ok that was more than a few :giggle:

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
That's so cool that you are teaching her some service dog tasks. Sorry to hear about her being attacked, that's really tough. I hope you both enjoy the training classes.

MaryK

Honored Member
Dotty is just plain ADORABLE, I'm in love:love: Sorry to hear she was attacked, that's awful, happened to one of my boys when we were out walking, he's almost over it all now, but it does take time. Sounds like Dotty is doing so well at Doggy School and also learning service dogs tasks, she's one smart cookie!

thanks all :) we're off to obedience class tomorrow for the first ever time, that'll be interesting as she has never been in a class of dogs before (max. 10 dogs).

MaryK

Honored Member
thanks everyone :) she is totally spoilt rotten and knows it! Thank fully the attack wasn't so bad (the same dogs attacked a guide dog and left him for dead http://www.dogworld.co.uk/product.php/News/29-Guide) and only her self esteem and confidence were damaged but it was still horrible. Can't wait to share more of her adventures with you all :)
Glad to know she wasn't physically hurt, but sorry about the Guide Dog, hope they've found the owner and punished him not his dog! My boy's the same, not physically harmed, but his self esteem and confidence suffered that's for sure.

MaryK

Honored Member
thanks all :) we're off to obedience class tomorrow for the first ever time, that'll be interesting as she has never been in a class of dogs before (max. 10 dogs).
Do let us know how she goes and don't forget, you stay confident, that will help Dotty no end! Go for it Dotty!!!(y)

I don't think they ever did find the attacker sadly :(

Well yesterday was just an introduction, he split the group in 2. One group for dogs that have behavioural issues and ones that need obedience training. Dotty is in the behavioural group :rolleyes: we arrived at 5.20pm to avoid rush hour and so that we could find the field and get rid of some of Dottys energy before the other dogs arrived at 6pm, which didn't work. She barked at everyone for 2 hours :oops: and she tried to take on a Bernese Mountain dog and a Doberman pup. Thankfully she wasn't the worst behaved dog there and everyone else found it amusing that my tiny dog was the noisiest one :p I don't think it'll be too much hard work to get her to behave better around the other dogs, after all I'm not asking for much, I'd just like her to be able to walk past another dog without causing a fuss. Lets see how it goes!

MaryK

Honored Member
I don't think they ever did find the attacker sadly :(

Well yesterday was just an introduction, he split the group in 2. One group for dogs that have behavioural issues and ones that need obedience training. Dotty is in the behavioural group :rolleyes: we arrived at 5.20pm to avoid rush hour and so that we could find the field and get rid of some of Dottys energy before the other dogs arrived at 6pm, which didn't work. She barked at everyone for 2 hours :oops: and she tried to take on a Bernese Mountain dog and a Doberman pup. Thankfully she wasn't the worst behaved dog there and everyone else found it amusing that my tiny dog was the noisiest one :p I don't think it'll be too much hard work to get her to behave better around the other dogs, after all I'm not asking for much, I'd just like her to be able to walk past another dog without causing a fuss. Lets see how it goes!
What a shame they didn't find the attacker, but probably best for the dog, who would have been punished rather than the dreadful owner.:(

She'll come good, just work on her looking at you and treating her every time she does so, that way she'll think seeing other dogs means TREATS rather than barking like crazy.:) She's game taking on the 'big boys'.