Don't Know Where This Goes, But... Help?

Chloe and Buddy

Experienced Member
Hey thar. Recently, Molly (my maltese) hasn't been using her back legs. I mean, she can walk, and get rid of bodily functions and all, but she hasn't been using them. I haven't seen this, but my mom has. I came into the room and I could see her eyes watering as she told me. We arent worried yet, but she won't come out from under the bed. But, she isn't whimpering...

What's going on???

Thanks,
Chlo

Dogster

Honored Member
I would go see a vet. Sounds like she has problems with her back legs. Maybe they're in pain, so she doesn't want to use them. She is an older dog, so she is prone to joint and leg problems.

sara

Staff member
BTW, I moved this thread to Dog Health. It's not a big issue if it's in the wrong spot, but maybe sometime someone else may have this issue.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Definitely sounds like a vet trip is in order, asap. Sara's right, could be her back, she could have pinched something, pulled something, could be anything. My female GS has back issues, and when her back goes out, she doesn't want to get up (altho she'll struggle, and finally will - no bed to hide under, or things may be different). All she wants to do is stay put in one place, and rightfully so (and I have a supply of muscle relaxants and pain meds for such occasions). Please take her in and see what's wrong - and when you get her out from under the bed, please make sure you do it very carefully in case she's hurting. Just because she's not whimpering or whining doesn't mean she's not hurting, dogs will often hide their pain as long as they possibly can.

MaryK

Honored Member
Oh so sorry to hear this:( Everyone is right, trip to the vets is needed now (complete with dog of course not just Mother, must keep smiling).

Jackie is so right, do move her carefully from under the bed. Is it possible to get someone (or more than one person) to CAREFULLY lift the bed up? I know this isn't always possible, I couldn't do it with my bed and she may be in too awkward a position, but if you can that way you can lift her out without moving her too much. Keep her laying down if possible on the way to the vet.

Please let us know the results of the vet visit.

Chloe and Buddy

Experienced Member
She is better today, she came downstairs to the basement today. But when I came home from Karate I saw her in my dads room sitting. I said, "Come here molly!" But she just went under the bed

MaryK

Honored Member
And I bet that's not her normal way of greeting you. Still think a trip to the vets is in order. If nothing else it will put your mind at rest. And if there is something wrong, better now than later. Glad to hear she did come out from under the bed.

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
If I am ever debating whether or not one of my companion animals needs vet care, I put it into human terms. If I had a kid, would I be embarrassed or not to tell someone my kid has xyz and I haven't taken him/her to the doctor? My kid has an itchy spot on his back. Ok. My kid sneezed 15 times this morning but not afterward. Ok. My kid puked after swimming. Still ok. My kid is having trouble using his legs sometimes and isn't doing things he normally does. Nope, gotta get to the doctor for that one.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Granted I don't know this dog, but most dogs don't spend (what seems to be) so much time hiding under beds. Something definitely sounds 'wrong'. Sounds like a dog who doesn't want to be touched, hiding from everyone, etc. When dogs want to be alone, it's a signal things aren't right. I'd be worried. That's just me.

Chloe and Buddy

Experienced Member
molly isnt 100 percent better today, but she is doing better than on friday.

A & C, I do agree with you, but... well, I mean, its all about convincing my mom, because I'm 12 and obvioulsy I cannot drive. She just wants to wait and see if it is horrible before going to the vet. she isn't wincing or yelping, and she probably wouldn't come out because my parents kept scaring her, trying to catch her to look at her, ect. but I do completly agree with you. Plus, Molly is still new to the house so she does get startled easily...

jackienmutts: Since the day we got her, Molly always loved under the bed. she isn't scared when shes under there, but more like she enjoys it... It's weird... I guess you can just tell that she is not scared. she sometimes sleeps on top of the bed with my mom, or under it...
If we are roughhousing, she will run upstairs and shoot underneath the bed. I'll look under and she seems to be saying "Ha, come and get me!" playfully. Idunno....

MaryK

Honored Member
That's tough trying to convince your Mom:(. You're doing all you can so don't feel badly about it all. You love and care for Molly and I am sure your Mom does too. Maybe she's concerned about the cost? Don't mean to pry or anything but I know vets cost a small fortune!

I agree with Jackiemutts, most dogs do hide because they're in pain and don't want to be touched but it sounds like Molly is the exception to this rule.

You make sense and never apologize for saying something to help others understand where you're coming from!(y):)

Chloe and Buddy

Experienced Member
Basically it is the cost, and she's trying to hold out as long as possible. and no, you're not prying :)

haha, oh but I feel like I must apologize!!!! :D

But bottom line is that Molly is 99% better. she is using her hind legs much better, but every once in a while her leg falls asleep and she can't get up. But, again, I can touch her legs and she doesn't wince, snap, or yelp. she doesn't look like she's in pain. She just ran outside today!

MaryK

Honored Member
Can understand about the costs.:) If it makes you feel better to apologize that's fine:D

Very happy to hear Molly is 99% better that's grand news!(y):D

It maybe that somewhere along the line she's pulled a muscle, or pinched a nerve, both of which are very painful but do heal themselves. She's young and youngsters can manage to do some awfully silly things to themselves at times. The trouble is, with dogs, they cannot say to us 'hey Mom it's not that bad just did something silly and pulled a muscle or pinched a nerve'. They just leave us to try to figure out what's wrong!

Now you can touch her without her yelping, just try to VERY GENTLE massage/rub her leg. Be CAREFUL and BE GENTLE and only as long as she allows you to do it. If it is a muscle or nerve, that will help.

Beagle/Shepherd cross that sounds an very interesting mix:D And Maltese X, love them, knew the sweetest little Maltese X back home:D