Dogs and underwear

enelya

Ive search the internet for some answers but dident find anything.
I have a BC she is 1year and 7 months. My boyfriend and i got her when she was 4 months from another family that didnt have any time for her.
My question is why does she steal my underwear and socks. Why doesnt she takes any of my boyfriends stuff? All i can wish for this christmas is underwear and socks since im all out of it soon hehehe. She started this behavior for 7 or 8 months ago... Im trying my best to keep her away from the laundry but my boyfriend is to lazy to shut the door to the room sometimes. It happens mostly when my boyfriend isent home or he sleeps and when im sitting on my computer or watch a movie.

Happy christmas & happy new year
from Janka & me :dogbiggrin:

CollieMan

Experienced Member
I think it's interesting to note that in the previous home, the owners didn't have time for the dog. Now, it seems your dog carries out these behaviours when she isn't getting attention: boyfriend is sleeping, or not at home, you're sat at the computer, or watching a movie.

To a dog, even negative attention is better than no attention at all. Add to that, the fact that Border Collies, more than any other breed, need huge amounts of mental and physical stimulation.

I think what you have is classic attention-seeking behaviour. Your Border Collie, in my view, is reminding you that she's there and has learned (probably at the last home) that stealing socks and underwear gets her attention, albeit not the ideal sort of attention.

My own BC will frequently pester me when I sit and watch television, by offering various behaviours that we have taught her. I read that as her telling me she's in the mood to learn more and so I make the most of it by doing some playing and training until she tires out. Some may see that as letting the dog dicate your time, so you need to consider that for yourself. I personally see it as a blessing that my dog is willing to tell me when she's feeling really responsive to training! The way I see it is that television will last forever, my dog won't. The age where they aren't as playful comes all too quickly.

I think your dog could benefit from spending more time with you, either in play or in training. My bet is that this would resolve your underwear issue.

Failing that, you might need to consider not wearing underwear! :msntongue:

enelya

I belive you are right about that. Since i havent been at work today ive dedicated my whole day to her, We have been playing and done some training and she hasent taken my underwear yet but the night is still young. I can tell what day she wants more attention then usually, and today is that day... now she just starring at me hehe. So now our plans is just cuddling and see a dog movie together... She actually like to watch white fang... you know that wolf movie hehe she so cute starring at the tv to the end. But still i dont understand why she has to take my underwear and clothes and not his.

CollieMan

Experienced Member
But still i dont understand why she has to take my underwear and clothes and not his.
Possibly because it smells of you and the dog knows that you are more likely to respond (and thus give attention) than your boyfriend? Just a theory.

It's the same reason my dog bullies me and not my partner when we're watching television. I'm the one who is more likely to get up, get the ball out of the cupboard, and do some training. They're not stupid are they. :)

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Good advice CollieMan. I would also teach "leave it." Try your best to catch her if she is still taking your unmentionables, and after you've taught leave it you can use this command at this time. Give her plenty to do. LOTS of training, lots of play, lots of exercise---this doesn't mean playing fetch in the yard. This means going for a walk or jog around the block or at the park. If you miss a day of walking, then do lots of training. Mental work can wear out BCs almost as much if not more than physical work! Good look to you, and hope you find lots of undies in your stocking. ;)

enelya

Thank you so much for your advice and im gonna use it. The underweare is not laying on the floor but in basket but when those basket has been moved to get it clean she steals from the... hmm what you call it ( the thing you hang up your clothes on) thats why my boyfriend needs to close the door. And yes ive watch colliemans video.. it was a great film :D Ive started doing more training with Janka and im trying to make my boyfriend do some to while im at work. My boss bought me this great book in gift for a month ago that makes training even more easy and more fun, because it easy to understand how to do it. And because we never had much money we never been to training class with Janka. But since we both have grown up with dogs she knows the basic things and more. But i wonder collieman i saw in your vid that you training your dog with jumps. Is it better to take a HD test befor i train my dog such things? Because she loves to jump over thing and she jumps when i say jump.

CollieMan

Experienced Member
But i wonder collieman i saw in your vid that you training your dog with jumps. Is it better to take a HD test befor i train my dog such things? Because she loves to jump over thing and she jumps when i say jump.
Presuming that your dog has had the typical routine check-over by a vet, there's no need for a specific test, unless you have good reason to suspect HD.

enelya

Ok i just wonder since most of the places where you train agi here i norway they want you to take hd test before you start training so your dog dosent have high risk of early hips problems

CollieMan

Experienced Member
By all means, if you are personally concerned about it, have a vet check done before training specific moves, but I personally don't see a need over and above the routine annual check from a vet.

stormi

enelya;13929 said:
Ok i just wonder since most of the places where you train agi here i norway they want you to take hd test before you start training so your dog dosent have high risk of early hips problems
By the HD test, do you mean hip scoring?

You have to allow for the joint to mature, but for a Border Collie of 1 1/2 that shouldn't be an issue.

Jumping will increase the impact on the joint, and so, yes, after you have been jumping your dog for a while there will have been more wear and tear on the joint and the hip score will be higher/worse than it would have been when your dog was younger (and before it started jumping a lot).

snooks

Experienced Member
I have Goldens and the last boy (no longer with us) had bad elbows even though his pedigree was flawless for elbow and hip for over 8 generations. You never know it can show up like a bad roll of the dice. 2 years is usually the earliest you can get the equivalent OFA (to US) but the pennHIP (or equivalent) can be done at a year and is a good early indicator. If I were jumping any dog or running them I surely would have the early test done if jumping/running before two years and the equivalent to OFA done at 2 years. That way if they are borderline you can help by keeping them lean and appropriately safe exercise.