Dog Training Flow Chart

charmedwolf

Staff member
So the idea is to create a flow chart of the natural progression through dog obedience and tricks, not just one or the other. Right now it's just a bubble map and as soon as I get most written down I'll put it in flow chart form. This will be going for all obedience, agility, hunting, nose work, behavior and tricks as well as any other sport anybody wants to help in so no one will be left out.

So right now I have 6 basic categories that a command can fall into. If someone thinks of another category, please tell me.
  • Recall: A command where the dog is moving towards you. I.E "Recalls", Fronts
  • Moving Positions: A command where the dog is moving but not necessarily towards or away from you. This category may or may not involve the handler moving as well.I.E Jumps, Contacts, Heeling
  • Stationary Positions: A command where the dog is not moving once it has changed body position. I.E Sit, Down, Stand
  • Handling: A command where the dog is expected to have a person touching them or the dog to be touching a person or to be touching an object in order for husbandry behaviors to be preformed. This will be separated further by body part most likely. Any tricks in this category do not have to directly relate but instead categorized by body part and can make handling easier. I.E Touch, Grooming, Nail Cutting
  • Distance: A Command where the dog is moving away from you. I.E Retrieve, Send Aways, Sledding
  • Self Control: A command that tells the dog to be in control of itself and/or any command used to regain control of the dog. I.E Go to Mat, Leave it, Watch me
If anybody wants to add anything, please feel free!! The more the merry! Just please try and come up with what category it would be placed in and if it would be classified more as a "trick" or "command".
For example, Trick: Paw/Shake: The command for the dog to offer it's paw. Would be classed as Handling ->Feet -> Paw.

charmedwolf

Staff member
And this is just handling and I'm not even done yet...

I not sure where I should be putting tricks like Speak, growl or bare teeth. They don't really belong in any category but handling has the head category which is what they deal with. But it's not handling. Maybe "stationary positions" would work.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
And this is just handling and I'm not even done yet...

I not sure where I should be putting tricks like Speak, growl or bare teeth. They don't really belong in any category but handling has the head category which is what they deal with. But it's not handling. Maybe "stationary positions" would work.
How about "vocal/facial expressions"?

running_dog

Honored Member
And there is lick lips (sloppy tongue), where's your tongue (front tongue), smile, but apart from the head aren't there other parts of the body that are going to need the same kind of classification - Wag tail/still tail, lift paw etc. Maybe these need another basic category? :confused:

I'm not sure where a trick like cross paws would fit in, is it stationary (cross paws and hold position) or moving (repetitively crossing alternate paws), or is it a form of self targeting (paw touching other paw)?

You certainly have made me think with this! :LOL:

charmedwolf

Staff member

It's like a maze of confusion. I think Handling is done for the most part. I'll type up everything in another post of what I have so far.

How about "vocal/facial expressions"?
Vocal is now a sub-category in stationary positions but any facial expression type tricks are now in handling.

And there is lick lips (sloppy tongue), where's your tongue (front tongue), smile, but apart from the head aren't there other parts of the body that are going to need the same kind of classification - Wag tail/still tail, lift paw etc. Maybe these need another basic category? :confused:

I'm not sure where a trick like cross paws would fit in, is it stationary (cross paws and hold position) or moving (repetitively crossing alternate paws), or is it a form of self targeting (paw touching other paw)?

You certainly have made me think with this! :LOL:
Added those. Handling is broken down into Head, Body, Tail and Feet which are further broken down into husbandry aka make grooming and vet/first aid easier and any tricks which build on those body parts.

Hmmm, for cross paws I think it would be stationary. Mostly because 90% of the dog's body isn't moving even with alternating cross paws. I actually have it in the "Down" part of stationary because I have yet to see a dog that wasn't taught cross paws in the down position.

running_dog

Honored Member
Hmmm, for cross paws I think it would be stationary. Mostly because 90% of the dog's body isn't moving even with alternating cross paws. I actually have it in the "Down" part of stationary because I have yet to see a dog that wasn't taught cross paws in the down position.
That makes sense :cool:.