Dog jumps up on me.

ruger

my sister has a yorkie that is a non stop barker!!!!!! what can she do to stop him ???? And I dod mean NON STOP!!!

ruger

My shepherd Ruger and I are doing fine he is so darn smart for a young dog. 5-10 minutes is about all it takes to teach him any trick. I do have one problem with him he gets so happy when we go out doors or if I come home and he happens to be outside at the time that he HAS to jump on me. I have tried the knee approach the turning my back and ignoring him completely when I come home . Any other tricks to try?????

ruger

ok I am computer illiterate I dont know how to retrieve my last three posts HELP!! I better call ruger I am sure he would figure it out before I can

diezel5x

When Ruger tries to jump do the knee thing. Then if jumps again go 50% harder. If he does is again bump it up another 50%. Every dog has its own personal energy to receiving discipline (in this case the knee) it is your job to find the energy that is required to match Ruger's so he understands jumping is not allowed. Give that a shot and remember dont get frustrated (keep your face relaxed). Let me know if this makes sense or if you have any questions. As for the barking when the dog begins to bark make her sit then lay down this will bring the dog into more submissive state of mind and energy (therefore a calmer energy). Make the dog stay down until there is no more barking. Dont yell at the dog either that will only create more energy and make the dog bark even more. Yelling just fuels the fire.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry but I strongly disagree with kneeing your dog to get it to stop jumping up. Yes it may work, but it may also hurt him, seriously. There are more sensible approaches like turning your back, or training him to sit when being praise and petted, or even using a leash or keeping a short long line on for control.

Don't get me wrong, if you use this technique and it works for you, then great! But I would suggest you try the others before resorting to this one.

szecsuani

Experienced Member
Most of the time, dogs want to jump up, because they want to be in the same level with you.
I'd say that the best way is the way that Jean told you.
Teach him to sit or lay down when you're in a situation in which he can jump up.
If he understands, that he will only get praised if he does what you ask him to do (sitting down instead of jumping up), it would be a lot easier, and he would be happier too.
Don't knee your dog, only if you have a Very serious reason to do that. If you have other choises, use those. :)
Hope I could help some... :D