Counter Surfing

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
Remi is getting bigger, and has now learned how to jump up and take things from the table and counters. Is there any training tips for teaching him to keep off the counter/table? I've never had a dog his size, I've only had small dogs so I'm lost on how to solve this problem. :confused:

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
Hi Mr. Remington

There are two main things to do:

1) Teach Remi that lying down when you are cooking or eating is the best way to get some of whatever it is that he wants. My dogs, even my current short-legged one, have all had a default down when I'm eating or preparing food. They do this because it is the best guarantee of getting what they want. Why get take-out when you can have delivery?

2) Keep food out of reach on the counter 100% of the time you're not there, forever. If you found $20 somewhere out on a walk, how often and for how long would you glance at that spot afterward when you passed? Now if that $20 was a pork chop, and you were a dog ... Let's just say it's extremely important that Remi is *never* rewarded for countersurfing.

The QDT Dog Trainer again has some good tips:
http://dogtrainer.quickanddirtytips.com/how-to-stop-your-dog-from-stealing-food.aspx

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
2) Keep food out of reach on the counter 100% of the time you're not there, forever. If you found $20 somewhere out on a walk, how often and for how long would you glance at that spot afterward when you passed? Now if that $20 was a pork chop, and you were a dog ... Let's just say it's extremely important that Remi is *never* rewarded for countersurfing.
Its harder to keep things out of reach cause we have a small in home daycare. But I will be sure to try and keep things out of his reach as much as possible. Its just getting the other family members to do so as well that will be a challenge.

MaryK

Honored Member
If you keep the counter tops clear and Remi takes other family members' food, they'll soon learn to keep the top clear!

A good down/drop/lie down is useful, provided you're around, but when you're not, you will have to just make sure there isn't anything on the counter top.