Coughing After Running

bekah1001

Honored Member
Brody and I just went for a 15 min off leash run at the park. I ve noticed on the drive back that he was almost kind of coughing...it sounded like someone trying to clear their throat. After drinking water he seemed fine. Could it be allergies affecting his breathing? If it seems to get worse I'll take him to the vet. I've I only heard him when he is finished a long run.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I'd get him to the vet. If this only happened the one time, it's not impossible he had something in his throat, if it happened only one (1)time,

but, i'd run him again, and if he coughs again, get to the vet. Dogs should not be coughing. Maybe our "vet in chief";) Charmed Wolf will see this....

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//"It has happened before a couple of times"//

oh yeah, off to the vet for you, sorry! Dogs coughing can be any number of things, but it's "not right".
Hopefully something easy to cure and fix 100%!!! Keep us posted!! but, something is wrong here,:oops: Bekah, something is wrong there. Might be something easy to fix, though!!!

Honored Member
My cavaliers started coughing when their hearts started to fail, that's how we found out (seperately, not both dogs at the same time). They were coughing so we took them to the vet and all the fluid around the heart makes them cough, and makes them drink a lot, and made them go off their food (even Kiefer who was a pig),
so if the coughing is the only symptom hopefully it is only something minor that can easily be fixed (like an allergy).

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
I had the same problem as 648117. My Pomeranian started coughing, after some test the vet said he has congestive heart failure and a few weeks later he passed away. There were a few other problems but that was the biggest. But please do let us know what the vet says.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Bekah, how long til your appt?
You might want to let vet know your dog is doing this, PRIOR to his surgery date........

if dog IS having a health problem, last thing he needs is anasthesia til AFTER he has had thorough workup to see what that is about,
and have that problem treated first, before he gets surgery.

coughing can also be worms, too...crawling up their throats....lots of things can cause coughing in dogs....bordatella, pnuemonia, trachea problems, i don't think i'd just bring dog in for surgery and mention it as they are taking him back...

i think i'd get the cough diagnosed and treated BEFORE he gets surgery, but, that's just me.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Bekah, i'd call vet now, i would.
this could even be worms crawling up his throat, or a bacterial infection, maybe something super easy to fix,:D that delaying could make worse.:oops: Waiting another month is not a good idea, imo.

i'd skimp on everything else, even feed ol roy brand dog food if i had to, to be able to afford to get my coughing dog to the vet to see about the coughing, both YOU and the dog will feel better. I Hope so much all is well and soon!!!

I know, Bekah, at your house, you are only a teen, and your parents are more in charge of vet appts than you are, so it's not entirely your decision, but, i hope you can try to convince your parents that your dog ought to be seen by the vet now. (without causing any family discord) It might be less expensive to treat it now, before it gets worse, (whatever it is..)
than it *might* be in another month.

It's also possible, the vet will have surgery room all set up,
and then CANCEL the dog's entire surgery, when he finds out the dog is sick. Most vets will try to avoid doing elective optional surgeries on dogs who are currently sick.

Please keep us posted..