Cinnamon - Border Collie X Labrador

cinnamonster

Hi all! Almost 3 years ago, while I was volunteering at the shelter, I was asked to foster two very small, sickly puppies who had a bad case of Kennel Cough. I agreed, and my family and I took them in, and named the two sisters Cinnamon and Sugar. We kept them for almost a month, until they were back in good health. Then we had a decision to make. Before agreeing to foster, we had spoken a bit about adding a new pup to our "Pet Pack", and after getting to know the dogs' personalities, we agreed that Cinnamon was the right choice for us. It turned out to be one of the best decisions we ever made, although it was not without its consequences. A few weeks after we'd adopted Cinnamon, she became very ill. We took her to the vet, and, though I don't remember the exact name of what she had, I know it came from drinking contaminated water. The place she was living before she was brought to the shelter was not a good one. She still has a large area on the inside of her leg where fur doesn't grow, due to a severe burn. But, in the end, she overcame all odds, and grew up to be the gorgeous, smart, energetic little ray of sunshine she is now. :)
My little Cinnamonster will be 3 years old in September of 2014. (Wow, how the time has flown!) She is a big Momma's girl, and she loves to train with me. She is very food-motivated, although one of those water bottle buddy toys can convince her to participate as well. She is trained in basic obedience; heel, come, sit, stay, down, watch me, shake, etc., as well as some more advanced tricks, such as; crawl, beg, "knuckle touch", spin, and roll over. We are working all the time on her social skills, as she is a bit timid around people she doesn't know- not aggressive, just shy. But once you do get to know her, you've got a friend for life! She likes to snuggle, nap under the kitchen table, and play with her toys. She can get the lid off of a water bottle in 7.6 seconds flat, but after that, she has little interest in them. She does, however, love those plush toys that you put a water bottle in. The noise drives her mad! That about wraps it up for my favorite princess. If you have any questions, feel free to ask! :)

Cinnamon and Sugar.jpg

This is Cinnamon (bottom), and her sister, Sugar, when they were just 2 months old.
Cinn4.jpg

Cinnamon at 4 months old
Cinn.jpg

Cinnamon and I, this year.
Cinn3.jpg

Accurate description of her personality. She's a goober. :)

southerngirl

Honored Member
What a tragic story with a beautiful ending.:) I'm glad that Cinnamon ended up in a great home with you.
She sounds like a very sweet dog and she's adorable. I also have a Border Collie/Lab, the black dog in my profile pic.

running_dog

Honored Member
Welcome to Dog Trick Academy :)

Seems like with those tricks already both of you have come to the right place... hopefully you will find lots of new ideas for tricks to train.

Gus, my Mum's dog is a border collie/labrador.

cinnamonster

What a tragic story with a beautiful ending.:) I'm glad that Cinnamon ended up in a great home with you.
She sounds like a very sweet dog and she's adorable. I also have a Border Collie/Lab, the black dog in my profile pic.
Thank you! I'm not 100% sure that that's what she is, but that's my best guess. She's got BC markings, but they're blonde, and then sort of a Lab-shaped head... I think she's probably an all-American mutt, though. :)

Cinnamon is really cute! She sounds like she is a great dog!
Thank you! She definitely is a great dog! :)

Welcome to Dog Trick Academy :)

Seems like with those tricks already both of you have come to the right place... hopefully you will find lots of new ideas for tricks to train.

Gus, my Mum's dog is a border collie/labrador.
That's good to hear! I'm pretty excited to try some of the trick challenges. They look like a lot of fun, and I know Cinn and I will learn a lot, and strengthen our bond as dog and trainer. (As well as our friendship) :)

running_dog

Honored Member
I'm pretty excited to try some of the trick challenges. They look like a lot of fun, and I know Cinn and I will learn a lot, and strengthen our bond as dog and trainer. (As well as our friendship) :)
Dive in with any of the challenges we have already done and if you need any help just ask and we'll love to help, or if you have any funny stories or breakthroughs with the challenges and videos of training and/or performing the tricks do share we'd love to hear/see!

We're supposed to be working on "Do as I do" at the moment but I've been slow on posting a new deadline so it has all slowed down a bit... it is a great challenge to work on and a lot of fun.