Changing

Dogster

Honored Member
Puppies have more energy, everything around them interests them, shorter attention span, LOL:ROFLMAO: But it depends on the dog. If you have a hyper adult, they might be as hard to train as puppies.Or if you have an extremely calm puppy (I don't think so:ROFLMAO:) then they might be easier to train. All dogs will learn to pay attention, eventually.:D

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Yep it depends on the dog i think i have one calm dog thats easy to train and one manic hyper dog thats hard to train and get to focus. They are both 2. So it can depend.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
but, puppies and dogs can develop longer att'n spans, like the others say, i so think so.

and until the puppy or dog does learn how to focus, to pay att'n, keep lessons super short.
My dog is adult dog, but, still, most of his lessons are about 10 minutes long.
Usually.

LOts of ppl think training a trick or a cue has to be saved up for a day off, or weekend, etc etc,
but i just jump in and give 10 minute lesson on whatever. sometimes longer, but, 10 minutes can teach a dog a trick. I can repeat the lesson later, many times a day, too.

My dog can pay att'n longer, but, quickie lessons do get the job done!:ROFLMAO:

and DTA does have some amazing puppies around here, too, so never give up!!
Teen17,
any specific trick you are struggling with????

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
Just some general tips to help:

1) Make sure you are using the highest value food rewards you need to and train when they are hungry. Use chicken or hot dog, lunch meat or cheese - anything that smells really good. Save the dry treats for snacks not training.

2) Make sure pup has had a bit of exercise to take the edge off - but not so much that they are super tired and don't want to do anything.

3) One of the first things to teach is Look - there are lots of videos around to help with that but I especially like these:

4) Always train in a distraction free area - until you get 100% response inside - you will never get more than 25% outside.

5) Keep sessions very short until the pup is "In the Game" and then you can start to increase the time of each lesson.

Does this make sense?