Cat Proofing A Fence.

southerngirl

Honored Member
I know this has nothing to do with dogs, so I'm really sorry for posting it here, but I need help. So we have this cat from the pound(long story) and he sprays Everywhere. Yes I know guy cats spray I've had plenty but this one seriously sprays Everywhere!! For know I have him in my bathroom but he has to go outside we have outside cats but until he knows this is home(temporarily) he needs to be contained. So my dad put up a chain length fence. How do I block off the top, we were going to use a tarp but it turns out we don't have one. Any ideas? Also we do plan on getting him fixed.

MaryK

Honored Member
You could try chicken wire over the top of the fenced in area. Then maybe for shade put a sack over that. Good luck, cats are the very devil to keep fenced in! One of mine is the best I know, if she get's out, at 'escaping' all kinds of enclosures!

Mutt

Experienced Member
I was going to suggest the things they do in the link of Linda, so I would check those pics out :)
The best way is to let the top go inwards (as seen in the pics).
Good luck with the spraying, from what I understand the spraying stops if the cat gets fixed right? Is he a foster?

southerngirl

Honored Member
Good luck with the spraying, from what I understand the spraying stops if the cat gets fixed right? Is he a foster?
From what I've heard the spraying stops when they get fixed. No, he's not a foster. Long story short I got him from the pound. I'm wanting to find him a new home, but he might end up staying. He's terrified of my dogs and doesn't like my cat Sophie. So I'm worried he'll attack my sweet Sophie and that him running will cause the dogs to chase him.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Off to look around the house for some kind of flimsy fencing. I just read that flimsy fencing is best to keep cats from trying to climb it.
Also any name suggestions. He's an orange tabby. Slinky but tall. Siamese like face. VERY talkative. A red blaze runs down his spin. And me and my fam. have been calling him Demon Cat, Possessed because his first three days here he would be rubbing all over us wanting attention than out of no where he would try to bite and did bite me and my mom. He's fine now.

MaryK

Honored Member
Name suggestions (so jealous he's orange tabby always wanted an orange tabby)

Marmaduke
Marmalade
Blaze

Any chance of a pic? That always help with choosing a name.

MaryK

Honored Member
Thanks for the pics he's GORGEOUS! He has a 'majestic' look about him, like he knows his own worth/place/mind etc. A wise old owl look about him. (Like my late Buddha) An old soul cat. Had another name come into my mind just as I fell asleep

Chatterbox (you said he was a talker plus part Siamese and they're great talkers)
Wizard (he looks a bit 'Harry Potterish" like he knows what you're thinking kinda)
MasterPyewinkle

What I do when naming an animal is to try out the name on them. For example, when Maeve adopted me on New Year's Eve my first attempt was Tawny as she's a diluted Tortie, she TOTALLY ignored that name, even though she was very friendly, rubbing my legs etc. Then I tried Maeve and she INSTANTLY responded to that name, so that became her name. Animals will let you know what name they like:)

It's early here, just got up, so will keep thinking especially as I've seen him:D Still jealous, always wanted an orange cat:p:D

southerngirl

Honored Member
Still jealous, always wanted an orange cat:p:D
This is my second one. My first one Tagalong who I've mentioned before went missing 4 weeks ago. Me looking for Tag is actually the reason why this cat is here and still alive. Me and my fam. have looked everywhere for Tag and believe a Coyote got a hold of him(cat's are there food source sense they aren't native):cry:

My mom wanted to name this cat Tasmanian Devil Taz for short because he had some serious anger issues the first few days. I told her no because it's Way to close to Tag's name just one letter difference. He bit me and my mom. He's fine now and very loving.

MaryK

Honored Member
So sorry to hear you've lost Tagalong, I recall reading about him in one your posts. I've heard Coyotes are bad for cats, have a friend who lives in Cape Cod and she has her two cats inside all the time because of Coyotes.

I agree, the name's too close and besides, me personally, I don't like to 'label' an animal with a 'bad' sounding name.
He was afraid, now he knows you care, he's changed.

He looks and sounds just adorable. And he's come to help you get over the loss of Tagalong. Maeve turned up just prior to my losing my beloved Buddha, who was suffering from renal failure and died just after she arrived. It's as if they come to you to help you get over a bad loss.

MaryK

Honored Member
It's very hard with cats who have been used to being outside to get them used to being inside cats. Maeve was the same, she'd spent a lot of her life 'on the streets' before adopting me. She's not too bad now, three years down the track, but will still make the occasional 'bid for the great outdoors'. At first it was MEOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL YOWLLLLLLLLL all the time. I would feed her treats, LOL she couldn't yowl with food in her mouth, and that helped get her to settle down.

Maybe you could make permanent cat run?

southerngirl

Honored Member
Well if I can get this cat to not get on counters and tables not scratch doors, furniture and so on and not walk around the house meowing he can stay in. But if he does do these thing he will get the boot outside. It was the same with Tag he was an inside cat for a while, but he continually got on counter table and stole food he ruined door frames and also ran out the door. Part of the problem he wasn't fixed yet. How do you keep a cat from doing these things?
And I have a pen that was for our old dog a Min Pin who was a pee wizard:eek: stayed. I'm wanting to get the money to set up some flimsy fencing along the top leaning in and some minor repairs, but first I need to get a job(hopefully this will be before summer.)
Some names I'm thinking about
Casanova(Cas)
Rambler
Rombo
Which one do you like I'm stuck on Cas and Rambler, but I'm still looking at other names.