Capturing A Behavior

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
Anyone have any tips...because it's not working real well.

I'm trying to teach Veronica to shake (as in a full body shake off) and I've been at it for awhile...every time she does it either click & treat if I'm prepared or "yes" mark and "good girl" scratch on the head if I'm not prepared.

I always follow it with "good shake"...because I'm not sure when to introduce the cue since she's not offering the behavior other than when it's naturally occurring.

But for all my clicking and "yes"ing; saying "shake" is getting me a blank look followed by an effort to offer other unrelated behaviors.

Any ideas?

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I've wondered this myself about capturing things like shake, yawn and bow that you can't lure or shape. I don't see how they make the connection when they only did it one time. I have heard of people putting a little water in their ears to make them shake over and over. That could get tricky, though, if your dog really hates it.

kcmetric

Verbal cues can take a lot longer for the dog to grasp, Baby takes about 100 times. Has she shaken off that many times yet?

Can you try adding a hand signal while you say the verbal signal? If you know when she's about to do can you do the hand signal and verbal cue just before she does it and then reward?

My puppy learned to potty on command first from my hand signal despite me pairing the verbal at the same time for instance.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Verbal cues can take a lot longer for the dog to grasp, Baby takes about 100 times. Has she shaken off that many times yet?

Can you try adding a hand signal while you say the verbal signal? If you know when she's about to do can you do the hand signal and verbal cue just before she does it and then reward?

My puppy learned to potty on command first from my hand signal despite me pairing the verbal at the same time for instance.
I can agree they learn visual commands much faster than verbal commands, or at least Chloe does. She knows the trick close the door, but I taught it with a verbal and visual cue. She doesn't completely know the verbal cue yet, even though we have practiced it tons of times, but I do the visual cue and she runs and closes the door. So I agree, try to do a visual cue, she may pick up on it faster.

Try paying attention to when she shakes. Does it tend to be right after she does something? If you can find a pattern of when she shakes, you will know when to do the cue so that you do it right before she shakes. Plus, if you know what often causes her to shake, you can set her up for success!

sara

Staff member
Honestly... I have never been able to capture a behaviour. I dont think I've even tried. So cant help you other than to say set up the behaviour. Not with something she hates mind you. But take her swimming, or put on a t-shirt or harness or something. make a huge deal when she does it... eventually she should get it.

Linda A

Experienced Member
I have found that most dogs like to be brushed and after brushing will shake to readjust their coat. Lots of dogs shake upon rising from a nap for the same reason. Putting water in the ears (something I would never do for fear of causing ear infections) would be more likely to get the dog to shake it's head and not it's entire body.

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
Thanks guys.

I'm having a "duh" moment...because I know they learn hand signals before verbal; and I know it takes Veronica a long time to learn the verbal (and no it hasn't been 100 times yet) :oops:

Now I have to think of a good hand signal for a shake off.

As far as capturing...I would never put water in her ears, I barely get to clean them as it is (or rather I'm allowed to clean them but it is made quite plain that she doesn't appreciate it :p) And yes I use ear cleaner not water. (y)
But she usually initiates contact by pushing into our legs so we have to bend down to pet her ( I've always assumed the dog is her was still never 100% comfortable with our bending down over her to pet her b/c even though she initiates and stay there, she shakes off afterwards)...so I will use that and look for other opportunities of naturally occuring shake offs as well.

Any additional tips would be welcome!!!

Mutt

Experienced Member
Never captured a behavior before, but I have taught Mazzel & Boef behaviors that can't be lured.
I taught Boef to open an close her mouth (without making a sound) by waiting for the slightest mouth movement (I was actually going for sticking out her tongue but Boef liked this behavior better :p).
I learned Mazzel to bark on command when I once did something which made him bark and repeated that so he would repeat his behavior also.

The others have given good advice, especially the hand ignal one (same here).

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I agree with Mutt, a combination of luring and shaping is so much easier and faster. It just takes some creativity, but you can teach some pretty amazing things if your dog is into it. And the clicker works like magic!

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
I agree...I'm just not particularly creative as far as figuring out how to lure the behavior!!

I did realize that when Veronica comes to me for attention, she presses into my legs so I have to bend down to pet her...and she seems to like it because she stays there until SHE's had enough...but I guess it's still wierd to her innate dog because she shakes off afterwards...so that's one easily captured naturally occuring shake off!

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Maybe for a couple days keep a diary of every time she shakes and what happened just before. Brody always shakes first thing when I let him out of his crate in the morning, then he scratches. He also shakes after barking at another dog or cat outside.

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
Maybe for a couple days keep a diary of every time she shakes and what happened just before. Brody always shakes first thing when I let him out of his crate in the morning, then he scratches. He also shakes after barking at another dog or cat outside.

That's a good idea. This is proving to be harder than I anticipated. :mad: