Breakthrough On Hold

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member

Was wanting to take her piccie of her holding something so I said "wait" and she did, till i shortly said ok, finally some progress :) she so got loads of praise and loads of treats as you can tell by my high pitched squeals in the video lol

Gone from a 2 second hold to a 9 second hold in like a second lol sooo happy :)

MaryK

Honored Member
Fabulous work and yes, she does look so cute with the flower in her mouth:love:

How long did it take you to get hold? I'm still working on this, no results so far, just a 'mule' look:rolleyes:

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
it was just one minute she wasn't getting it then suddenly she was. Now I can work on making it longer :) I've tried it on and off for over the year i've been trick training so its taken her awhile

Honored Member
I've been working on "Hold" with Holly for her formal retrieve and retrieving the scent cloths for obedience. She has to hold the item until I say "OK", so she has a release cue, this allowed me to slowly increase the time before I gave the cue, if she dropped it before I said "OK" then I got her to hold it again until I released her.

The 'click' was the original release cue (when I clicked she would open her mouth to get the treat and the item would fall out), then I started to say "OK" just before clicking so that it became the release cue and I stopped clicking. Then I just had to wait a little longer and longer before releasing :D

Dogster

Honored Member
Bella's getting so good at hold!!! She looks adorable holding the flower!! (perfect for Valentine's Day!):love: And her impulse control is fantastic!!!:D I don't think I could ever get Shivon to do that...

MaryK

Honored Member
Bella's hold and impulse control is fantastic!!!!!!!! She's just soooooooooooo cute:love: And her eyes, she has the most beautiful eyes:love:

So there's hope for me, if it took Bella a year to get hold. Doubtful about Ra Kismet's impulse control, LOL he'd drool that hard the food would just slide out - or down his throat!

Ruth M

Wow that's brilliant. I'm finding it so difficult as Wynona has never been in to toys, I'm working at present on Jean's tips to get her interest in toys. She will take from me after we'd doing some shaping starting with sniffing and built up to putting it in her mouth but then drops it straight on the floor. I know once i get her to hold I can work on pick up we can then work on building it up to preform other tricks. She's always willing to please and works so hard but we are just struggling with this. Love the Cheese String hold. VERY IMPRESSED! I don't think any of mine would get to hold it.