Border Collies And Ziplines?

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Anyone have any opinion on Border Collies and Zip lines?

My backyard isn't fenced and we have a zip line for Missy, but I make sure she doesn't use it - when I'm in charge/home.

When I'm not home, my parent's use it to get her good and tired... My mom says, "She gets tired in 5 mins (really?), then lays down on the veranda watching things in the yard." O_o

My first impression of the zipline was, "she gets more and more wired!" My mom said, "she used to get a wild look in her eyes, but not anymore."

Well, my personal opinion is this: if she is allowed on the zip line and I ask her to do something (ie. sit - we used it in the past...), she ignored what I said, 'cause she was too busy running back and forth, most likely chasing things out of the yard... which I want to put a stop to.

I don't want the "chasing/barking behaviour" in the yard to be all she thinks about when I'm out there with her... should I use the zipline to get rid of her excess energy? Or should I train her out there with her GL on to start with until she gets more focused on me?

She doesn't play fetch in the backyard much which means she doesn't get tired in my backyard - unless she's on the zip line which is when she runs full out. The only time she gets tired is at the park playing fetch and doing obedience...

I hope this makes sense.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help in advance!

southerngirl

Honored Member
I would use the GL because if she is totally focused on something you can say attention or look at me than gently turn her head to you, click and treat and after a while she'll start to turn her head when she hears "look at me" or "attention"

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Thanks for the tip, southerngirl! :) I'll be sure to put it to good use tomorrow and for the rest of the week.

I'm going to have to confess... I did use the zip line with Missy for two days now, only for about 15 minutes to run her excess energy off... oops! I was waiting for a reply, and figured while I waited I would use the zip line... well, no more zip line for my girl! I'll make sure I use the GL out in my backyard to get her focused on me just like at the park. :)

MaryK

Honored Member
I too use a gentle leader/Halti with Ra Kismet, he adores it and it does give you a lot more gentle control.

paul davers

Border Collie Breed History and Origins
website

The Border Collie breed originated from landrace collies, an ubiquitous type found mainly along the British Isles. Many years ago, the first known origin of the Border Collie emerged from the border country shared between England and Scotland, hence the name. The original purpose was for them to work alongside sheep ranchers. In the year 1915, the term “Border Collie” was coined by James Reid, and served to distinguish the Border Collie breed from the Scotch Collie breed, as registered by the ISDS. Still, they are quite old as a breed, appearing in literature from as far back as the 16th century.

Dlilly

Honored Member
I made up a great game for Rory that tires him out a little, and it taught him to LOVE his crate!

I would have a crate on one side of the room, and a mat on the other, and a frisbee in the corner. I would say 'kennel' and he would have to run to his crate, ect. I would mix it up telling him to go to them in different order. You could do this outside with a mat, a brick or tree stump (tell her to stand on it) and a frisbee (have her nose touch it).

You can buy a giant leash or just use some rope if you're worried she might run off. I hope this helps!

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Hi all! :) I just had an idea - to include Missy's zipline (I haven't been using it these days as I've been home):

I was thinking of putting Missy on her zipline and waiting for her to get tired.

Then ask her for a sit.

Every time she sits give her a treat.

Do this for 2 weeks and see how things go.

After that - for another 2 weeks... put her on the zipline and wait for her to be almost tired, and ask for a sit. When she does, YES! and treat. :)

Continue to do this until she sits on a dime going full speed - on her zipline!

Then add down, come, and all the basics over time.

What do you think?

Let me know please.

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated and welcome! :)

Maura

I think I would first get a treat dispensing toy and feed her kibble this way. This will give her mental stimulation and keep her occupied for a good five minutes or more.

I'd put her on leash, at least ten feet, and take her to the edge of the yard where I would normally step out on a walk and work her in that spot, treating immensely for sit and down. From that position I'd work back into the yard working on recall. I'd then work on recall within twenty feet beyond the "gateway into the world" spot. This is so she will have a good recall when she decides to take herself on a walk. I'd do this in every gateway she uses to escape the yard. After that, I'd use the game outlined above where you send her from place to place. Incorporate the use of hand signals.

On another forum it was suggested that one could use a "flirt pole" This is a dog sized cat toy, a pole with a rope and a toy or ribbon or something at the end of the rope. You get your dog chasing the toy/ribbon back and forth, laps around you, etc. to get him running while you don't have to. If you have this type of toy you would ask for a sit or down before you started playing, have a word to stop, ask for another trick before starting up again. You can also give her three soccer balls and let her herd them. She would also probably enjoy finding things in the yard (under the porch, under the bushes, in the bushes, etc.

My border collie enjoys herding ducks in the pond, but I don't suppose this is an option for you.

Dice Smith

My mom wanted to get a zipline for Kodi when he was a pup but I refused. One day I found out she made a home made one out of old clothesline and he went crazy running and barking and broke the thing. After that she listened to me lol. I can see how they might be beneficial in some cases though and I think your idea of tiring her out on it and slowly working over the weeks is worth a try. :)

I know how it can be hard to tire an active dog out without a fenced in yard. A few weeks ago a tree fell and crushed our backyard fence and we won't be able to fix it until the springtime. :( What's working for us right now is a harness or headcollar and I use a long retractable leash. I have races with him where we sprint across the yard or up the hill and then stop and ask him to watch me and we do some obedience and trick work. It doesn't tire him out as well as when he could run off leash but it's what we have to do for now and it's making his attention to me stronger, which I like a lot. (y)

You should definitely try the flirtpole idea to like Maura suggested. I made one for Kodi and it works amazingly well! I love it because it's like constructive herding and really tires him out. I think Missy would absolutely love it!! :love:

Dice Smith

I made up a great game for Rory that tires him out a little, and it taught him to LOVE his crate!

I would have a crate on one side of the room, and a mat on the other, and a frisbee in the corner. I would say 'kennel' and he would have to run to his crate, ect. I would mix it up telling him to go to them in different order. You could do this outside with a mat, a brick or tree stump (tell her to stand on it) and a frisbee (have her nose touch it).

You can buy a giant leash or just use some rope if you're worried she might run off. I hope this helps!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea Dlily!! I'm going to try it with Kodiak. :D (y)

threenorns

just a little comment here: the border collie was bred to spend all day, every day, running up and down rocky mountain slopes chasing sheep and to regain 85 - 95% of their energy after a 90sec rest.

how much physical energy do you think is going to be blown off by ziplines or even walking on a leash?

i was up to walking my dog twice a day - 30min in the morning and 2-1/2hrs in the evening. i'd come home worn to a rag and he'd look at me all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and "now what!?? hunh??? hunh???"

BUT

5 - 10 min of trick training and he's sacked out for at least half an hour. mindless running around isn't going to do anything. you can't keep it up enough to wear her out and it's not going to ease her mental frustration.

walking the dog on the leash is not for physical exercise. walking with a human is a joke, exertion-wise, for border collies. walking on the leash is important, however, to exercise your mastery over her. being required to follow you around impresses upon her that she is to follow your lead.

being BC, she has a phenomenal intelligence, so *use* it: brain work is even more exhausting than body work plus she'll have a job that will give her a sense of personal satisfaction even if it's just being the door monitor or the toilet flusher.