Boating with Dogs!

dogcrazy

Experienced Member
Carmels head reaches to my knee (I am only 13). Oh i forgot to say this. Love your ramp for the boat. I just read your dogs story and its amazing

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
yes, it is a great ramp. If you have a 33 lb dog, you won't need a ramp as much as we did. Our dog is 50 lbs, and our boat floats high in the water, so if we are floating ourselves, is hard to put a 50 lb dog back into the boat!!:ROFLMAO:

and our dog can NOT climb ladders,
so ppl in our situation, really can appreciate having a doggie boat ramp.
but, with Carmel, you could probably lift that dog pretty easily.

yeah, my lil Buddy, he is a character, he is amazing to me. Took him month or two to even smile, ha ha!

karleee

Experienced Member
LOL! I have realized that with Border Collies...

They weren't bred for sniffing or swimming. They might be agile and graceful in an agility ring, but stick them in the water and it's a different story. I've seen a few who are great swimmers, but most....not so much.

Mudflap is a poor swimmer too. Fortunately for Zeke, I guess he didn't get his swimming skills from his Border Collie daddy....he's a very strong swimmer, and loves the water. Especially if tennis balls are involved, haha!
sounds like dazzle....she LOVES the water,and will do a running,leaping belly flop into the dam off of our jetty,then swim around chasing dragonflies and ducks constantly for the next 1 1/2 hours without stopping for a rest :ROFLMAO:

running_dog

Honored Member
Please may I ask what material is the ramp. Is it plywood? Wondering how it lasts with contact to sea water
Wonderful design you did well
Tigerlily isn't around any more but yes the ramp was made from plywood.

You could use marine ply if you wanted it to be more durable. Craig obviously painted the ramp and I assume that would be with suitable paint for prolonged contact with water and this would also prolong the life of the plywood. Bear in mind that many small boats (such as the Mirror sailing dinghy) were built out of ply and if looked after properly lasted for many years even sailing in salt water.

attackgirl

Hello, I am looking to make a ramp for my boat. I think the ones you can purchase are outrageous and not really feasible for my boat or my babies. I see your sliding ramp and well mine won't slide I will have to detach and reattach each time because of the boat I own but I love your ramp. What is the material under the carpet that he used? Can you provide more details. I have thought about exterior plywood with carpet but that won't last long. Personal email is [email protected] or just post here I am on the watch this discussion list. THank you!!!