Biting

Honored Member
So... recently Holly has started to become a bit nippy when she is excited or frustrated (eg, when I get home, when doing tricks).

I think she is naturally a nippy dog (she was nippy when we got her and would bite hands until I stopped everyone playing rough games with their hands with her), apparently her sister is nippy and Holly is very mouthy when playing with our other dog.

But she has really got bad lately.

I tought her how to weave around my legs so she sometimes tries to bite my pants while doing it :confused:

So my question is: is this an age thing that she will grow out of if it's ignored (she is also sometimes ignoring commands now, especially recall) or is it something else?

She is 6 and a half months old now so maybe she is just at a stage where she is naughty?

Anneke

Honored Member
I think that you are right. It is just her age.
My advice is: when you are training or playing with her and she starts nipping, give her one warning. If she does not stop, you stop the game. Make it very clear for her that you are stopping. Turn you back towards her and ignore her. Go back a few seconds later and try again. If she does it again, then you really stop training/ playing.
She is looking to see what she can get away with.;)

jodetoad

Agree with Anneke. Chloe is 9 mos, still kind of mouthy. Some herding breeds tend to be particularly tempted to nip heels. i.e. Border collies, corgis, etc.

orpheum

I have a Jack Russell that likes to challenge my hands for a play fight.
I don't mind this, but I did train that saying "auw" (pain) means stop right now.
I've chosen to train this because he was nipping and I wanted to achieve some bite inhibition. Also no squeeky toys for him (reduces bite inhibition in my opinion).

I started training this during tug games. Saying "auw" means I offer him a treat. I say/shout it in different tone levels. If your dog does not let go, "no problem". Use food that smells harder. You should only present the food for 3 seconds. It is his choice to let go and take the food. If he ignores the food the value is not high enough or he's overexcited.
Overexcitement also could be a sign of going a bit too fast in your training.

And also the time out/stop playing works perfectly for this.
But like you and others suggested, he's most likely going trough a fase.
But if the family is nippy I would start training.