Biking With Your Dog

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
I have one similar, not the same but its called the Springer. http://www.dog-training.com/springer.htm It works very well but the only thing is not over-doing it. My dog loves running and I think they don't realize how exhausting it can be to run for so long. Also, It's probably best to do this on trails instead of roads, I've seen some glass shattered a few times on roads and it could be dangerous for a dog to walk on. And last, make sure you keep an eye on your dog because mine sometimes stops suddenly to do her 'duties'. :)

I've always been tempted to get a dog scooter http://www.digglerstore.com/scooters_dog_home.html but I don't have the trails close enough to my house or the money to buy a good one. :)

lizzyrd

Experienced Member
I would actually prefer if they didn't do their business while we were out for a walk. I put them out for potty time like I normally do before I leave or after I get home. This would eliminate the need for me to carry any cleaning materials (or carry "business" home in my pocket). Do you think this will be an issue?

rouen

Experienced Member
I bike with Dingo, and will start Dasy this spring/summer as she's now old enough. Dingo loves his "running machine." When Dingo needs a poo stop he usually slows down for about 5 yards before the halt, this usually gives me enough time to move off the trail. I have a rack on my bike so I dont have to put anything in my pockets.
Since you're just starting out, make sure you start slow. You need to give the dogs pads time to toughen and his body time to build. By the time we have to stop for the year I usually have Dingo fit enough to go 12-16 miles a day with him setting the pace, he could do more I am sure but he seems happy enough with that.

rouen

Experienced Member
yes, 12-16 miles. we usually break it up into 2 rides. I'll take him out in the morning for a couple hours, come home and let him rest. He typically sleeps for an hour or two then he's ready to go again. Where we ride theres a river bordering the trail, so we stop periodically so he can wade in to cool off and get a drink as well. So it's not a straight 12-16 miles.

lizzyrd

Experienced Member
Wow I am impressed. I hope neither of my dogs need a 12 mile run daily! I don't think I could ever provide that much exercise. What kind of dog do you have?

rouen

Experienced Member
My best guess at Dingo's combo is lab/terrier with a hint of chihuahua. He's the one in my avatar. Luckily during the winter he's content to bum around the house with his interactive toys. And Dasy's a beagle mix.
I would actually like it if he could go further, it can be a little addicting being on a bike with your best friend having a blast right next to you. But I know better than to push him.