Beginning

mRae

I live in the foothills of the Sierra in California-I have always had dogs and just got a new puppy-a 7 week old ShihTzu named Lucca. The best part of owning a dog is getting to know each other and learning to understand the special language of man/dog. With every dog its the same and also different. I love the discovery of how to communicate! This puppy has stolen my heart, she is happy and super people oriented-the big surprise, having had big dogs all my life until now, I never knew small dogs could be so smart- Like a sponge she is soaking in the stuff we do together, what fun!

Attachments

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Hi and welcome! I'm also in Ca, altho on the central coast (San Luis Obispo county). Absolutely, small dogs can really be great fun! You can only snuggle big dogs in your lap (well, the whole dog :LOL:) when they're puppies - and with little dogs, it's furever!! :ROFLMAO: And yes, they are very smart! Lucca is very cute. I'm sure you're enjoying her, Shih Tzu's have such adorable personalities. Do you clicker train? Feel free to peruse the forums, lots of threads to read, with loads of info - and so many talented people willing to help if you have any questions. Jump in anywhere!

MaryK

Honored Member
Welcome:) Lucca is a real cutie pie:love:

I've never had a small dog but know people who do and they are super smart little darlings.

Do you clicker train?

I agree, it's part of the wonder and fun of having a dog, getting to know them, even ones of the same breed all have such different personalities.

LOL hey Jackie, some bigger dogs STILL sit on Mom's lap! No names but R K still thinks he's a puppy and my legs go to sleep independently from the rest of my body:rolleyes:. But yes, little dogs you can still pick up and cuddle, whereas with bigger ones it's impossible, unless you're into weight-lifting!

mRae

Hi and welcome! I'm also in Ca, altho on the central coast (San Luis Obispo county). Absolutely, small dogs can really be great fun! You can only snuggle big dogs in your lap (well, the whole dog :LOL:) when they're puppies - and with little dogs, it's furever!! :ROFLMAO: And yes, they are very smart! Lucca is very cute. I'm sure you're enjoying her, Shih Tzu's have such adorable personalities. Do you clicker train? Feel free to peruse the forums, lots of threads to read, with loads of info - and so many talented people willing to help if you have any questions. Jump in anywhere!
Jackie, I am trying to learn to clicker train. I am a slow learner ......I have never used this type of training but it looks great. I have been watching videos by TAB289 and Clint Cora on youtube. TAB is a terrific clicker training demonstrator and Clint has LasaApsos so I can relate sizewise. I have a hard time figuring out that this dog is the same as the big ones. My brain just hasnt made the connection. It seems impossible that this tiny creature can think the same as my standard poodles, but she is fun to work with. She will eventually get me trained. :)