baskerville muzzels

josiebell

I have a small (well large if not controlled), problem with my duke. He is a perfect dog with people but he will go for other dogs.

I realise that it is probably me that is causing the problem as I tend to tense up and he picks up on this every time we see another dog.

I stupedly got the catch of his lead caught on my cuff last night at dog class and it flipped open and he flew for another dog. Apart for feeling so stupid at my mistake I was very upset to be told I had a dangerous dog. I know it could have been so much worse if the dogs owner had not had the sense to not panic and she did block his way to her dog.

I now need to get a baskerville muzzel for his classes and when I take him out where there is other dogs. I also know that this will not be a permanent fix but will give me the confidence to gain control and make him feel more assured that I am the boss.

Needless to say I have been inundated with advice and suggestions in such a short time last night, everyone giving me their tuppence worth. It did not really sink in as I was in such a state and so upset with myself for letting this happen.

Has anyone else had similar problems? I've been told to put him behind me if he goes for another dog and walk backwards to show I am in command. I was told so much more but it was comming from all angles and I did not take it all in.

Any advice and help would be much appreciated. I so want to do the best for Duke, he has had such a rough time in his short life and I am determined to do what it takes to give him the best life possible.

I really want a dog that is happy to be around other dogs and not have a go.

PS We think he is about 1 year old and we had him nutered a couple of months ago so he still has raging teenage hormones, I think he is just a teenage thug, but a lovable one!