Backing Up, Sitting Down

Lee&Dakota

I want to teach my girl Dakota to back up. The problem is that I'm getting interference from other things I've taught her.

I taught her 'front' and now, when I get in front of her and start trying to back her up she sits. Everything I try to back her up, she sits.

I can bring her forward and get her to stand, but as soon as I reverse, she sits.

How can I get past the connection between back-up and sit-down?

Should I give up on 'back' for now?

jackienmutts

Honored Member
When you say "everything" you try, just makes her sit - what have you tried? Let us know - that way, we'll know what to (and not to) suggest -- or we'll try to get inventive and think up something new. Sometimes you have to think outside the box. Tell us what you've tried - we'll all figure something out. (y)

Lee&Dakota

I've tried having her in front of me, facing me and leaning or stepping towards her, treat at the ready for even a single shuffle back. She sits.

I've tried having her in heel position, at my side, and guiding her back with a treat at her nose. She sits.

I'm not using a verbal cue yet, just trying to get the action.

I can see she knows she's not doing what i want and is trying hard to figure it out.

She already knows front, swing (to heel position), down, up(stand), come, and place. She can shake, high-five, and 'hup' (jump up to stand with paws over my arm). We're working on chin (down), and 'all the way down' (lay flat on side).

I'm not fixated on back being our next behavior, but it seems practical, and a good next step.

Mutt

Experienced Member
Try putting the treat between her front paws and moving it towards her (just under her chest).
She might want to bow/lie down the first time so click&treat for the slightest movement (so that it becomes clear what you want).

Another option.
Learn her to put her hindlegs on a box (or something else).
You can do this by first letting her put 4 paws on the box and than luring her two front paws off.
If she knows this well move the box a bit further this will also encourage her to put her hindlegs on the box and by doing so she will back-up :)
This is called chaining (starting with the kast action the dog has to do and from that working till the first one)
The box is also a great way to increase distance later on, because the dog knows he has to back up untill the box.

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
I believe I first taught Veronica to back up by backing up with me in the same direction. I put her against a wall so she would back up straight and I lured her back w/ a treat. Then I added the verbal cue when she had it.

After she knew "back up" I then did it with me in fron of her. I used a hand signal also at that point; the traditional "back up" signal, and later phased it out.

Here's the video I used; she goes through a variety methods and I just played around and improvised until I found what worked for us.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
All good stuff above. Not sure how much back-end awareness Dakota has, but here's yet another video with good ideas, I like this one because it starts with her just standing and you asking for nothing, just walking into her, and clicking for movement. Which brings a question ... do you clicker train? Things go so much more quickly if you do.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Jazzy, I see we just posted the same video - great minds think alike :LOL::ROFLMAO:. It's a great video!!! I had already 'copied' it and hadn't watched yours it yet (and you never know what that first picture is gonna look like), had been having trouble posting last night or would have replied then, so waited til this morning. Oh well..... :D

Lee, let us know if any of these things might be helpful.... Others might still post more, too. It's funny how some dogs get stuck on some things that are so simple for others, while they breeze thru some 'hard' things for yet other dogs - it takes a village!!! :LOL:

Dogster

Honored Member
Fantastic advice everyone!!!!(y)

Make sure you reward for even the smallest of steps. She'll learn that step back=treat. Don't give up, keep at it!!!:)
Keep us posted on progress!!!!!:D

MaryK

Honored Member
Great video J & C and Jackie(y) Just what I'd expect from two great minds!!!!!!!!!:LOL:

Seriously, that's the way Ra Kismet eventually got back, between the legs in the peekaboo position.

And yes L & D we all use clickers. Couldn't live without one!(y):D

Lee&Dakota

Thank you all! We're making progress now. It was holding the treat low that got us past the sitting down -- thanks Mutt!

I'll try a few of these variations too. "Rear end awareness" and the targeting stick or hand are new ideas. She's gonna love that I bet!

I may be quiet for a while, but I will be reading and learning from all the great stuff that's already here...