Back Up?

blacknym

Experienced Member
Any Ideas on teaching this? I wanna start teaching some back end awarness. Deja has no idea she has an ass. LOL

Any ideas and suggestions would be great!

southerngirl

Honored Member
The elephant trick is great for back end awareness. To teach back up walk toward her, she should back up click and treat. Once she gets it than add a cue and/or hand signal. When she associates the cue with backing up start working on her backing up without you walking toward her. You might want to teach this in a narrow place such as a hallway to insure she backs up and doesn't try to go any other direction.

Tâmara Vaz

Experienced Member
Hi:)
For making her aware that she has back legs you use "Rear and awareness": You teach her to put her front paws on something like a book or a bowl then lure her head to the side making her back paws move and reward her for that (remember to start with very slight back moves). Also known as the "elephant trick" or "pivoting".

For back up you can move with treats onto your dog while sides are blocked for example with a wall and a sofa;)

DevonW

For back up I sat in front of Thor and waited. The moment his back foot/feet moved I would mark yes (or click) and toss the treat between his front legs so he would have to move back to get it. The moment he moved back to get the treat I'd mark yes and toss another treat between his legs (placement of reward is really important in some tricks). If he turned around or ducked his head down to get the treat I wouldn't do anything. He caught on fairly quick. Once he started offering to take a few steps back on his own I added the cue word Beep Beep and then gradually increased the criteria.