Animal Sanctuary

kassidybc

Experienced Member
I just started volunteering at an animal sanctuary, and it has been sooo much fun! They have coatimundis, a Kinkajou, African Servals, an African Lynx, a savannah cat, birds, rabbits, foxes, sugar gliders, a chinchilla, a woodchuck, reptiles, horses, miniature donkeys, pigs, chickens, ducks, dogs, a black capped capuchin monkey, and 34 wolves. I knew you guys would appreciate pictures, so I took a few. Sorry, I didn't take many, I'll take more next week when I go back. And I was only equipped with my phone to take pictures, so they aren't great quality.

Here is one of the coatimundis, they are so sweet and cute! :)
image.jpg

This is the woodchuck, they just rescued him from the wild (he was badly injured), so he's not a fan of being stuck in his cage...
image.jpg

The foxes came up to say hi when I went by their enclosure, but they ran away as soon as I took out my phone, so this is the best pic I could get.
image.jpg

African servals, African lynx, savannah cat...
image.jpg

And an adorable wolf pup.
image.jpg

There are two wolf pups, and they were roaming around keeping us company as we cleaned the cages (they're super sweet), and I was cleaning the guinea pig cage (which isn't that large) and one of the pups ran up behind me and jumped in the cage, and started trying to catch the guinea pigs! I ended up in a frenzy trying to tear the pup out of the cage and avoid having a dead guinea pig. :)

running_dog

Honored Member
Wow Kassidy! What an amazing thing to do and to be able to do. You are going to have so much fun and get so much experience.

I really like woodchucks, I only saw one alive and another one squished on the road when I was in the US but I like them. I think it is because I like guinea pigs and woodchucks make me think of giant guinea pigs!

That must have been really scary when the wolf pup jumped in with the guinea pigs! I'm glad you kept your head and managed to sort it out before anything awful happened.

Please share more pictures as you get them :cool:

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Awesome! I used to work at a safari park and LOVED it! My particular job was cleaning out the bats (not the best of jobs) but I still loved all the interactions I could have with all the animals and loved the rescue progammes too. You will love it too I am sure.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Got a couple more pictures. I took them a while ago but haven't gotten a chance to post them.
Here is Nataka and Sage, two wolf pups who are getting soooo big so fast! They are very interested in the servals. :) They are raising them with the plans of them being the representatives for the wolves at the sanctuary, as at the moment there aren't really any friendly wolves there, and it's nice to be able to let people go and interact with the wolves when they visit.
image.jpg

And this is Gil. She is a black capped capuchin monkey. They rescued her from a house that someone had abandoned, and they abandoned all of their animals with it. There were several dead cats and dead dogs in the house, and there was a couple of dogs who were still alive, who were left with no other option than to try to eat Gil. So, Gil is a little messed up. Doesn't like anyone, will try to pull your hair out if you turn your back to her, etc. It's especially hard dealing with something like that in a monkey, since they are so smart. For example if you try to feed her, she will keep pulling her hand back when you are handing her food, encouraging you to bring your hand closer to her. Then once your hand is close she tries to grab your hand! :0 It's not her fault though, she's been through so much. I am pretty happy though, she has started to let me scratch her, and when I scratch her she will "groom" my hand, as if I am another monkey! :D

image.jpg