Airplane Travel Carriers

Pawbla

Experienced Member
Hey, can somebody recommend me any brand(s) of dog carriers that are airline approved? Winston is medium sized, so I can't just get one like my cat's haha.
Thanks!

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I think they are all pretty much the same, and should say on the box if they are approved for airplane travel. Just make sure you get the right size so Winston can stand and turn around comfortably. The sizes are never what I expect them to be. I think of Brody as being a medium sized dog (24 inches at the shoulder), but I always seem to need a large size of anything.

Pawbla

Experienced Member
Well 24 inches IS a large dog in my opinion. Not like... super large, but it's catalogued into large I think :D. My dog is considered medium and he's around 16 inches tall.

Well, great! Thanks a lot, I found out after I posted that they had already sent the container here so I couldn't order it :(. I didn't know if I had to pick a wire, plastic, or what kind though :/.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Well 24 inches IS a large dog in my opinion. Not like... super large, but it's catalogued into large I think :D. My dog is considered medium and he's around 16 inches tall.

Well, great! Thanks a lot, I found out after I posted that they had already sent the container here so I couldn't order it :(. I didn't know if I had to pick a wire, plastic, or what kind though :/.
I guess he is large to most people. By my way of thinking, there are the teacups, the toys, then small dogs like spaniels and beagles. From there, we get medium sizes, like whippets and border collies. Large, in my mind, are labs and German shepherds. Beyond that, your mastiffs and St. Bernards are giant. Brody seemed big to me when we first got him , but then we went to a dog park and met a Bernese Mountain dog puppy who was 3 months younger, but 4 inches taller and a good 20 lbs heavier. Since then, I've always thought of him as medium!

Pawbla

Experienced Member
I know right! Those are like extra large dogs.
Often in meds, pet food, etc, small dogs are up to 10kg, medium dogs up to 25 kg, and large dogs are from 26 onwards. But small/medium/large is subjective. When I was used to having a huge doberman (barely fit into the standard with his height and weight), my dog seemed TINY to me. But right now, for most businesses, it's considered medium (pet transport/pet food/pet meds/pet daycare/renting). He weighs around 15 kilos.

Honored Member
I keep accidentally calling Border Collie sized dogs "big dogs". Like when I'm discussing what kind of dog I want to get next (when the times right - probably not for a year) with agility/obedience people and I say I would like a "big dog, about Border Collie size or a tiny bit bigger" people say "O_o Border Collies arn't big dogs :confused: ".

Ok, I know BC's arn't actually classed as "big dogs" (or "large") but compared to Holly and Lewis, who weigh 7kgs and 6kgs, they are "big dogs". It's all relative.

To me, Winston is a "big dog" (he weighs twice what Holly does and I don't think she is really that small).
Normally I just think of Holly and Lewis as "normal sized dogs" (I guess everyone thinks of their own dog that way), at agility I get a reality check every week because Holly is in the "micro" height class (shortest), she isn't even near the cut-off for "mini". She's the only "micro" in the class. :LOL:
(it goes "micro", "mini", "midi", "maxi")

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I had a hard time choosing the right sized crate for Brody. When we got him, he was only 7 months old, and since we only knew he was a BC mix, and not what his other breed was I wasn't sure if he would get any bigger. My brother used to have a Leonberger, one of those giant breeds, and had a crate he didn't need, so I borrowed that from him. Brody would get lost inside it. Honestly, you could fit 4 Border Collies in there! It took up so much space and couldn't be moved without taking it apart. I finally got him one that fits him much better, but it is for medium sized dogs, not large. It is plenty long enough for him to turn around and lie down, but when he sits, he has to lower his head. I don't really mind that much since I only want him to use it for quiet times and night time, so it encourages him to lie down. If I was to get the large one, it would not only be taller, but longer and then it would take up so much more space.