Aggression In My Dog

jusroz

My dog is a very sweet dog. I however am perplexed. When he sees some dogs he gets very aggressive and attacks them, whereas other dogs he wont. He turns from sweet to attack mode. He did it today at the dog park. I was concerned about taking him but he did well. Then when we were leaving I was talking to this couple and the gentleman was actually petting my dog. Then another guy came by with his dog and he attacked it. Not only that but when I tried to get him to stop he ran and attacked the dog again. The lady had to catch him by his holster for me. I was so embarrassed and always am when he does that. Funny thing is, at Petsmart where I take him quite often, all the staff love him and says how he gives them hugs and likes to play in day camp so much. He only get cranky there if another dog comes up to one of the staff and he is hugging them. Please any advice this is driving me crazy!

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Hi and welcome. I'm a bit confused, not quite sure about a couple things - but here goes... First, if I had a dog who sometimes attacked other dogs, the last place I'd ever take that dog would be a dog park. You're putting other dogs at risk for injury. It's just not fair, especially since you yourself aren't sure what his triggers are, you don't know how to prevent an attack.

My question is this - does he only attack other dogs when he's around and getting attention? Is he, say, getting pets and love from sometone, then another dog approaches, and BAM! You say: He only get cranky there if another dog comes up to one of the staff and he is hugging them. and Then when we were leaving I was talking to this couple and the gentleman was actually petting my dog. Then another guy came by with his dog and he attacked it. This sounds like he only attacks if he's getting attention and other dogs approach - could this be? Or does he do it at other times too?

And - when he does, has he ever caused an injury, or does he mostly just try to drive the other dog away? In other words, is it a lot of noise, but no real contact with the other dog? Or does he truly try to fight? Many questions, I know. But most importantly, this doesn't sound like a dog who should be going to dog parks. Safety should be your first concern.

MaryK

Honored Member
Hi and Welcome. I totally agree with what Jackiemutts has said. Please do not take your boy to the Dog Park, it's unfair to other dogs as it is putting them and their owners at risk of serious injury or worse. I've, sadly, seen it happen and it's not nice.

Some of my questions are the same as Jackiemutts. So will not repeat them.

Also what breed(s) is he and what is his 'history'. Is he adopted from a Shelter? Is he a Pet Shop dog? In that case most likely puppy mill. Is he from a Breeder? How old is he? When did this aggression start? Was he alright for a while then 'suddenly' become aggressive? What, if possible, first triggered the reaction?

The more we know about your boy, the better we are able to help you, so sorry for so many questions when you're looking for answers, but they're necessary to establish exactly what's happened and why. I'd be asking anyone these , you're not being singled out.:)

But in the meantime, again I ask you to not take him to the dog park, it's just too dangerous for all concerned.