About Spaying

kimw30

Hey I always heard that once you get a dog spayed that they will gain weight, I have a rat terrier dog who is 4 years old and her name is Prissy and she was spayed in september and she has always been really skinny and the vet said that when I get her spayed she would gain weight but she hasnt gained any weight, she is so small . She doesnt seem to care about eating. She will go a couple days or so and not eat. I always heard people say that when there dog got spayed that it started eating alot and gained weight. So I am wondering if they may be something wrong with my dog. Any suggestions, and does spaying really do usually cause a dog to gain weight.

Linda A

Experienced Member
I gained 10 pounds after they spayed me and I can't get rid of it. LOL! Seriously, I think it all depends on how active your dog is or is not.

kimw30

If your dog isn't an enthusiastic eater you might changing her food, especially if she is having skin issues. Though if her weight is good maybe not!

(LOL Linda A!)
Thanks for the information, I dont know what she should weigh, last time she went to vet she weighed 4 pounds but she looks skinnier today. Every dog food I have tried makes her have diarrhea except the kind she is on now. Maybe I need to talk to the vet.

kimw30

I gained 10 pounds after they spayed me and I can't get rid of it. LOL! Seriously, I think it all depends on how active your dog is or is not.
Thanks for the information, sometimes she is active and sometimes she just lays around.

Honored Member
Holly didn't really gain weight after being speyed.

I suspect that people think they gain weight because dogs are usually speyed when they are becoming mature which is the natural time for them to fill out a bit.
Also, with male dogs, if they are neutered young then it could effect how much muscle they develope because of the lack of testosterone so the neutered dogs may look heavier.
But I'm not really sure, just my guess.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
My current and previous girls have remained a good healthy weight after spaying. I think that "they gain weight after spaying" is an old wives tale ... and it's another excuse for overweight dogs (instead of not enough exercise, and too much food).

What kind of food are you currently feeding? Just curious.

Dogster

Honored Member
Shivon didn't gain any weight after she was spayed.

I would really look into changing Prissy's diet. If she's weak and not properly nourished, it may be harder for her to recover from spaying. Are you feeding Prissy dry food? Wet food?

fickla

Experienced Member
Did she have her blood tested when she was spayed? If you're concerned about her lethargy and lack of eating I would have a full panel done to check for a medical reason why, especially since you said she gets diarrhea easily. I sadly know several dogs with digestive issues who don't eat a lot because it hurts them, those dogs end up on very restrictive diets but look great once their owners figured it out! There are also other medical reasons that might explain your dog's problem.

As for gaining weight after being spayed/neutered, many dogs do need a slight decrease in calories if it's done after they're done growing. But I wouldn't be concerned if a dog didn't.

Dogster

Honored Member

I would really look into changing Prissy's diet. If she's weak and not properly nourished, it may be harder for her to recover from spaying. Are you feeding Prissy dry food? Wet food?
Whoops, sorry! I thought Prissy wasn't spayed yet. My bad!:oops:

kimw30

My current and previous girls have remained a good healthy weight after spaying. I think that "they gain weight after spaying" is an old wives tale ... and it's another excuse for overweight dogs (instead of not enough exercise, and too much food).

What kind of food are you currently feeding? Just curious.
Thanks for the information, She is eating purina EN that is what the vet prescribed, all the other foods that we have tried made her have diarrhea, sometimes she will eat it and sometimes she will not, sometimes she will go 2 or 3 days and not eat, I get so worried about her. I have took her to the vet so much in the last 4 months.

kimw30

Thanks for the information, she is eating dry food, it is called Purina EN, that is what the vet prescribed for her, all the other food that we have tried made her have diarrhea. she will sometimes go 2 or 3 days and not eat, I get so worried about her, I have took her to the vet so much in the last 4 months.

kimw30

Did she have her blood tested when she was spayed? If you're concerned about her lethargy and lack of eating I would have a full panel done to check for a medical reason why, especially since you said she gets diarrhea easily. I sadly know several dogs with digestive issues who don't eat a lot because it hurts them, those dogs end up on very restrictive diets but look great once their owners figured it out! There are also other medical reasons that might explain your dog's problem.

As for gaining weight after being spayed/neutered, many dogs do need a slight decrease in calories if it's done after they're done growing. But I wouldn't be concerned if a dog didn't.
Thanks for the information, yea she had her blood tested and she has had it tested after she had been spayed too. The dr. said she has inflammatory bowel disease and he put her on Purina EN dog food because the other foods made her have diarrhea but she still sometimes just will not eat. She has been to the vet so much in the last 4 months. It worries me so much because she loses weight, she so skinny

kimw30

Whoops, sorry! I thought Prissy wasn't spayed yet. My bad!:oops:
Yea she already been spayed, and it was a emergency spaying because she got infection, and it was hard for her to get over the spaying because she hadnt been eating and she was so tiny.

MaryK

Honored Member
With Prissy's lack of weight gain, it's a bit of an old wives tail about neutered dogs gaining weight, as Jackie has already said. My boy Ra Kismet is neutered and he hasn't gained a single pound. It's lack of exercise which causes weight gain.

With Prissy, I think a change of vets is in order, there's something wrong if she's not eating properly. Try GRADUALLY very, very slowly, changing her diet to raw meat but don't change immediately, as even with a very healthy dog a sudden change in diet can cause upset tummys.

kimw30

With Prissy's lack of weight gain, it's a bit of an old wives tail about neutered dogs gaining weight, as Jackie has already said. My boy Ra Kismet is neutered and he hasn't gained a single pound. It's lack of exercise which causes weight gain.

With Prissy, I think a change of vets is in order, there's something wrong if she's not eating properly. Try GRADUALLY very, very slowly, changing her diet to raw meat but don't change immediately, as even with a very healthy dog a sudden change in diet can cause upset tummys.
Thanks for the information, I have tried all the vets in my area and they all just say that Prissy is a dog that just dont like to eat, I have never heard of a dog that just dont want to eat. The vet I take her to now says she has Inflammatory bowel disease, but he says some of it is she just doesnt like to eat. But like I said I have never seen a dog that just dont want to eat. I thought the only way you can tell if a dog has inflammatory bowel disease is to take a biopsy, but she hasnt had that done.

MaryK

Honored Member
Some dogs don't 'devour' food quite as much as others, like a person I know with a Chow Chow, her dog isn't a 'gutsy' eater BUT all dogs like to eat. A day/two without eating PROVIDED there isn't any other sign something is wrong, isn't the end of the world. But, with Prissy being such a wee doggy, and also suffering from stomach/bowel upsets, I would be concerned.

Yes, I would have definitely thought a biopsy would be in order to check for a bowel inflammation.

The other thing which has occurred to me is this - has Prissy accidently eaten something, like an old sock, which maybe causing a blockage. This could have been a while back too, not recently, as it doesn't always show up at first. My vet had a case where a dog ate the rubber duckie in the bath and it was TWELVE MONTHS before the dog showed any signs of distress.