A Different Kind Of Guess The Breed :-)

running_dog

Honored Member
Someone has asked me to do a papier mache sculpture of a dog. I'm not sure it is looking anything like the breed it is supposed to be yet... so I'm posting a couple of photos hoping to see what guesses you come up with as to what breeds it could be, it will help me and maybe give you all some fun too... it is still just at the newspaper stage so you don't have any hints from colour. The first photo is probably more representative of what it is supposed to look like.
IMG_6496.jpg

IMG_6497.JPG

running_dog

Honored Member
Thank you all for your thoughtful responses... I'm afraid I'll have to go back to the paper and glue... it is supposed to be an American Bulldog :rolleyes:

I do quite a lot of simple papier mache dogs but I tend to do skinny mutts so a bulky breed is a new challenge.

running_dog

Honored Member
I've still not finished the american bulldog but here are a few of my keepers... the ones I've liked too much to part with for one reason or another...
First there's Sally, she's a mutt but she includes at least one recognisable breed:
IMG_6741.JPG

and here's Benji:
IMG_6742.JPG

Benji can do a trick :)
IMG_6743.jpg

This is one I did just to see how small a dog I could make, but I think I will be able to make a smaller one...
IMG_6740.JPG

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
LOVE IT! Is the finger dog Zac? He's brill. Love Benji's trick - looks a lot more of a stable beg than Ripley can do..! Is Benji a shetland sheepdog? With Sally the snout kinda looks Airedaleish in length but the ears look Beagleish.

running_dog

Honored Member
LOVE IT! Is the finger dog Zac? He's brill. Love Benji's trick - looks a lot more of a stable beg than Ripley can do..! Is Benji a shetland sheepdog? With Sally the snout kinda looks Airedaleish in length but the ears look Beagleish.

The finger dog is no dog in particular but as Zac is the dog I see most of there is a lot of him in the dogs I make. I was thinking of painting it brindle and white.

I think there probably is quite a lot of sheltie in Benji - both the foxy head and the markings suggest it.

I think Sally has saluki markings but I'm sure that as you spotted she has a lot of bits of other breeds in her too.

Paper is a fabulous medium to work in as it is quite strong even when doing really fine legs and tails - clay would be far too fragile. If you drop paper dogs they bounce!

running_dog

Honored Member
Another attempt at the american bulldog... still headless and tailless because she is too wet to finish right now but surely we don't need little things like heads and tails to make a breed recognisable :LOL:. I'm not sure if she needs a broader chest?

I've photographed her alongside my previous attempt, she's smaller because the previous one grew with too many layers of paper as I tried to make her look right.
IMG_6746.JPG
IMG_6747.JPG

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Another attempt at the american bulldog... still headless and tailless because she is too wet to finish right now but surely we don't need little things like heads and tails to make a breed recognisable :LOL:. I'm not sure if she needs a broader chest?

I've photographed her alongside my previous attempt, she's smaller because the previous one grew with too many layers of paper as I tried to make her look right.
View attachment 3035View attachment 3036
Possibly slightly wider chest but not much if it is a female in my view. Think she may need a bit more muscle definition on the outside of the shoulders of the forelegs instead which would give the idea of the wider chest too?

MaryK

Honored Member
I was going to guess that Sally had Saluki or Afghan hound in her.

They all look really good.
I was going to guess the same, can see Sally has Saluki or Afghan hound in her. They sure are great, no wonder you didn't want to part with them Running Dog.

MaryK

Honored Member
I agree, a little more muscle definition on the shoulders of the headless dog would give that 'wide chest' look as these dogs do have muscled shoulders. Getting much better though, can't wait to see the dog complete with head and tail, LOL may scare kiddies a headless, tailless dog!:confused::oops::rolleyes: