2 dogs

szecsuani

Experienced Member
Well, I have a question. :msnblushing:
I want to buy a bearded collie (not now, a few years later), but I don't know how Pami (my dog's nickname) would get a long with a new dog.
We adopted her 6 months ago. Before the adoptation, she lived with a woman, with at least 10 dogs for company. Now, she really enjoys being The dog in the house.
How does this whole 2nd dog thing go? Like what should I do on the first day, when the second dog arrives?
P.S: Did this whole post make sense?:msniwonder:

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
How old is your dog now? Does your dog still play with other dogs? Do any of your friends bring their dog to your house?

szecsuani

Experienced Member
She will become 2 in december.
No, she doesn't really play with the other dogs, and our friends don't have dogs, but those who have, never bring them to our house...:msnsad:

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
She is only two years old? It sounds like the perfect time to get another dog - if that is what you want.

However I would start by seeing how she is around other dogs - if one of your friends has a social dog, you could try to introduce them in a park and see what they do. Then bringing your friend's dog to your house. It would be very wise to see how your dog reacts beforehand. :dogwub:

steve

Hi Szecsuani (great name!)
About the 2 dog thing...about 2 years ago we rescued 11month old male dobie from a family where he was the boss. He slept where HE wanted he would not allow anyone to read a newspaper! He was a 7 stone pulling machine. We made loads of mistakes (and probably still are) but he turning into a pretty obedient dog. Coming back to the 2 dog thing…during his first 8 months with us my 25 yr old son was at home all day (yeah I know!)but would now be moving out. So we rescued a 8 month old GSD bitch…the first evening the were introduced was not on ‘neutral ground’ (as any sensible person would have arranged)…but in the Dobies house. Well I thought they would kill each other!!! But THAT WAS IT…a couple of hours keeping a close but not too close an eye. After that they were and are inseparable…at the moment they are laying next to me with the bitch licking the wax out of the dopey Dobies ears. I know I will probably be shot down in flames for saying it…but I now think it’s a bit on the mean side to have only one dog!

Go for it!
Regards Steve

szecsuani

Experienced Member
Well, we meet many other dogs when we go to the park, and she gets along well with them, there was only a little problem with the male dogs, when she was sick, and she had a kind of smell, that the male dogs liked, and they didn't get out of her butt, and that really irritated her...
the other problem is my parents. Since I'm only 15, I can't decide it myself, and they don't want a second dog, becouse we live in a flat, and they say there wont be enough space for them.:msnsad:
And they say that a clearbreed (is this the word?) dog is too expensive.:msnsad:

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
I think you were thinking of "Pure Breed" which only consists of breeders mating the same breeds together.

It is unfortunate that your parents are not willing to get another dog, but you have to consider the circumstances. Dogs are not toys or something that will go away in a year or two. They live for a long time and they require time, dedication and love.

It might be for the better that you can only have one dog, since you will probably move out on your own in a few years, and then who knows what you decide to do with your life.

On the bright side, this website is filled with ideas and exciting lessons to help you connect with your dog. Why don't you make your current dog a star? :dogsmile:

szecsuani

Experienced Member
I know what I will do after I move out:dogsmile:
I want to be an interpreter...
Here is the next question:
We leave her alone at home loads of times, becouse I go to school, my mom's husband goes to work, my mom goes to work, and my 3 years old sister is at kindergarten.:dogsad:
Pami hates to be alone. Really badly. :dogunsure:
So whats the solution other then a second dog?
And I know what a responsibility it would be to get a puppy, train it, and all that. And then take care of it during it's life.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Well getting a second dog would not be the answer for you, especially since nobody is home most of the time...

Your dog needs exercise and mental stimulation. If all of you are out of the house for long periods, you could hire someone to simply walk your dog in the middle of the day.

szecsuani

Experienced Member
Well, she hates to be alone, but my mom's husband wont give the key to anyone, even if we know him/her. He wont trust him/her.
She's only left alone for a longer time on wednesdays, when my mom travels away to another city, where she is teaching. She is at home most of the time.
What's mental stimulation?

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Mental stimulation is working the dog's brains! :) Like teaching them tricks or stuff that they need to think.

kujo3405

mental stimulation is when you give her something that makes her think. like you could try teaching her basic obediance or other things like tricks. for stimulating toys you could try kongs and put either the spray stuff or treats and bones. i have to do that with my 6 1/2 mon old border collie mix and he loves it i get him the liver paste to put in it. i am also teaching him more difficult commands and tricks that he needs to think about to do them.