Your Community, Your Ideas...

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone,

I would like to grow this community. Please write below one or two of your biggest ideas that would make this community bigger, better and *cooler*. :-)

Thanks in advance :)

MaryK

Honored Member
One thing springs to mind, not quite 'cooler' but useful. Is it possible to have members' emails available on their profile only to other members of course? Reason being that Tiger Lily has been absent for a long time, we know why, but a lot are getting concerned about her.

The conversation is great, when the person is on the site regularly, but at other times it's not so helpful.

As in, the other day I had problems with my computer and couldn't get through, was getting quite worried and wished I could email someone to let everyone know I hadn't deserted DTA but was experiencing computer problems.

Also a 'love' as well as 'like' button on posts???

And with the smilies, is it possible to have the thumbs up and thumbs down in a different color? LOL always have to look twice and make sure I hit the right one!

Will 'sleep on it' and see if I can come up with something really useful:D tough one as the site is already really cool:D

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
One thing springs to mind, not quite 'cooler' but useful. Is it possible to have members' emails available on their profile only to other members of course?
The only issue with that is that robots go all over the web and take e-mail addresses and spam the heck out of them. That's why most websites have forms instead of e-mail addresses. ;)

Thank you for your suggestions! :)

MaryK

Honored Member
The only issue with that is that robots go all over the web and take e-mail addresses and spam the heck out of them. That's why most websites have forms instead of e-mail addresses. ;)

Thank you for your suggestions! :)
I know, darn them!!!!:mad: There is a small software program which prevents that happening. From memory it's a java script. It encrypts the email addresses.

I only use contact forms on my site though. Not sure the program is compatible with wordpress.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Technically (unless they changed their personal options), they should receive an e-mail if someone starts a conversation with them which includes the message and a link to reply. :)

Dlilly

Honored Member
maryK, I believe Tigerlily is dealing with a family member who recently passed away. :( That's why she has been busy and offline.

If you do let people have their e-mails on their profile, please add the option. I don't like giving my e-mail out, or for it to be on websites.

I can't think of anything at the moment, but anything similar to the old 'Trickster' area on the old website would be great. I still remember how awesome it was. I know you had problems with the software, so it would be different. I can't think of anything specific, but maybe you could do something where we upload the videos to YouTube.....?

Or, you could do a 'trainer of the month' each month. You can choose the trainer by any accomplishments they've recently made, how helpful they are on the forums, or to new trainers who are getting the hang of trick training and have finally taught their dog an advanced trick, or have fixed a bad behavior. That would be a great way to encourage members to post more on the forums. You could make a little announcement on the home page and forums too! If you'd like to give something away to the trainer of the month, you could add text under their name saying ''Trainer of the month, or all past TOTM can have text under their name saying something like 'Honorary Dog Trainer'. Or if you have editing skills, you could make a little avatar or signature for them as a special gift.

MaryK

Honored Member
Poor Tiger Lily:( An awful situation, I know I've been there:(

Yes, I do agree to make emails optional, I am very, very wary of giving out my email on line. Spammers can be a real pain!!!!!!!!!!!

Love your suggestions for Dog Trainer of the Month - grand ideas there(y):love:

Dogster

Honored Member
I didn't think about it that way.... Just thought anyone who liked Jean's or my post is in. Now that I think about it.... hmmm... I guess I am throwing out a challenge....:D:sneaky:

MaryK

Honored Member
I didn't think about it that way.... Just thought anyone who liked Jean's or my post is in. Now that I think about it.... hmmm... I guess I am throwing out a challenge....:D:sneaky:
LOL well I'm definitely IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :LOL: Bring it on!!!:D .

Maybe though give instructions on how to teach the trick? That would encourage more to join in, as the hardest part of tricks is the handler knowing what to do:eek: . Once they know, the dogs are very easy to teach:D

When you are not too sure, the poor dogs get confused and offer up their favorite trick or what they think you're asking for. Can't blame the dogs though if the trainer is confused:eek::oops:O_o

collie23

Think it's a great idea, and having the different 'grading' would be good cos for newbies (like me), just getting our dogs to sit could be challenging whereas others would be way more advanced (yes i have read the many trick lists you guys have) :)