What Breed Is My Dog?

What Breed is my Puppy?

• Pomeranian Mix

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spaniel Mix

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bbal325

Hello, I recently adopted a 8-10 week old puppy from the local shelter and we are trying to figure out what type of breed mix he is. From the picture you can see that he has floppier ears and he also has a very thin tail. The shelter listed him as a pomeranian mix, but I doubt that. At 10 weeks he is about 11lbs. He has fairly long legs with a furry puppy coat. Through all the internet searching I think that he may be a golden retriever/Border collie mix, but i'm not sure where he is getting the Brindle coloring. Also, he has been getting noticeably lighter each day and the black is starting to slowly wear away into a true brindle coloring.
Any suggestions or help would be great.

Attachments

Dogster

Honored Member
Welcome!!!:D First of all, he is 100% ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!:love::love::love: Congrats on the new puppy!!!! It's fantastic that you decided to rescue!!!! I am not good at guessing dog breeds, to me, he looks like a full-blooded bitsa.:) Aka mutt, or mixed-breed dog. I'm sure many other members will be able to help you though!!!

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
Oh good heavens that's a cute puppy! I love the 'chicken fluff' stage of puppy coat! Congrats on your new adoption, every dog and puppy adopted from a shelter is one more life saved!

I have to agree with Dogster, I'm thinking a "Heinz 57" style mixed breed. (I agree with you, not a Pomeranian!) I have seen a bunch of mixed breed brindles, and who knows where the brindle comes from. You'll learn more from his behavior in a few months, if he herds, or uses his nose more than the average dog, how big he gets, if he develops a muscle-y kinda build, etc. but really it doesn't matter for training since everyone is an individual. The beauty of a mutt is "hybrid vigor" i.e. a lesser chance of breed-related defects.

It's fantastic that you decided to rescue!!!! I am not good at guessing dog breeds, to me, he looks like a full-blooded bitsa.:) Aka mutt, or mixed-breed dog.

MaryK

Honored Member
Welcome and congratulations on adopting a rescue puppy.:D:love:(y)

I think he's a bit of a mix but he could be English Shepherd/Retriever/???? You'll be able to see better, maybe, when he's a little older. For example, his tail may well fill out more, his ears prick or remain folded, he may seem to love retrieving or herding. It's going to be fun trying to work out what his lineage is, I know, I have one youngster myself. He's now 2.5 years old and LOL the 'guessing game' is ongoing.

One thing is for sure, your boy is just TOO CUTE and will give you so much love and joy.

Dioritt

I think there are probably more than two breeds involved so I'm going with the others: Heinz 57.

If you really want to know what he's made up of, you can buy DNA testing kits for around £60 (not sure how much they cost in the US). But at the end of the day, he's a gorgeous chap and that's all that matters :)

southerngirl

Honored Member
Now that I think of it Missy my Border Collie/Lab mix has a mix of black and brown on her feet that looks somewhat like your puppy.It'll be a lot easier to guess what breed he is because his personality will show more and his coat color, and length when he is done growing. And by the way what is your puppies name?

bbal325

Thank you for all of your replies! His name is Pico and his little paws are growing every day! I am excited to see what he turns into. I've been told by some others in my area that living in San Diego lends to a "Baja Blend'' mix breed with german shepherds and lab/corgi. His little legs are too long for corgi, but we will see.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
I personally wouldn't waste $$ on DNA tests, but I suppose some people have it to toss away (I do not) and figure what the heck, let's see what comes back, nothing to lose. You can tell so much once the pup starts to grow up a bit, grow into it's body, develop an actual personality (besides just cute in general :LOL:), and start to show some of it's breed traits. Fifteen years ago (yeah, I know, showing my age, huh? :ROFLMAO:), I rescued a very pregnant female - chased her thru many lanes of LA traffic, finally caught up with her, no collar, horrible condition, etc - got her home, and 10 days later she had 11 puppies in my bathroom. She was a large Beagle mix - we always thought Beagle/GS (if you can imagine that one - cute actually, and around 50lbs). The puppies all looked like little Rottie puppies, little solid black balls. As time wore on, they got lighter and lighter, some developed the saddle like the mom, others a very muted saddle - but we were sure "dad" had to be a Golden or a Golden/Lab. I sent them all to homes (except two that I kept) by 7 wks old (please, don't anyone tell me I should have kept them longer, I was about to pull my hair out!! I went from a quiet 2 dog household, to suddenly having 14!! .. and yes, I found a home for the mom too) as little black dogs with hints of color and within the next 4 months, they were turning much lighter. My vet did "shot clinics" at my house (he did house calls) til their puppy shots were finished and the puppies would all come (it was so fun!) and it was so funny to see these formerly black dogs not looking anything like their former selves. I barely recognized them any more!! :LOL:

And - a couple years after that, I was walking down my street when my neighbors were just getting out of their car, and out tumbled a little 8 wk old puppy. My remark: OMD, you just got a new GS puppy!!! :love: Oh no, they say, they just came from the pound - and it's a little terrier puppy. HUH? I said well, I've certainly been wrong before, and could be now - but it sure looks like a GS to me!! Oooooh NOOOO, they wanted a little terrier puppy, and the pound told them this was a terrier puppy!! They did not want a GS, only a little dog, and the shelter assured them this was a little dog!! Ok. Well, it ended up being a pure GS - and I helped them rehome her a few years later (I'd have taken her - but had 4 dogs, my orig two plus 2 of the 'puppies' so unfortunately couldn't take sweet Josie, too). Terrier? I think not.

So - moral of this story - give your puppy a chance to "see what he's gonna be when he grows up". He just might tell you. :cool:

kcmetric

My first guess is a dutch shepherd mix. When she's bigger we'll get a better idea. Her ears may start to point up or they'll stay floppy, her fur will be done doing whatever it needs to do (if she has any feathering for instance it'll give more hints), and her face will be more developed for muzzle shape comparisons.

bbal325

Hello,

Just wanted to send an updated picture of Pico. He is getting lighter everyday. We have been logging his weight over the last 4 weeks and he is looking like he will be around 35-40 pounds when he is finished growing, but who knows.:) After looking at pictures online I am thinking that he has some sort of gordon setter type mix with maybe a lab or a little shepherd.

Pico
PICO pic.jpeg
Pic
PICO pic3.jpeg
Pico
PICO pic4.jpeg
lab/Setter mix
setter1.jpeg
setter mix
setter3.jpeg
Setter mix
setter2.png
setter mix
setter4.jpeg

MaryK

Honored Member
The setter, fifth picture down, is so like my boy Ra Kismet and when I first looked at the pictures of your boy I couldn't help but think how much he looked like Ra Kismet when he was a puppy. I am thinking he's English Shepherd x Setter, predominantly anyway. He may have a bit of something else but this is what I feel is his main mix.

Whatever, he's adoreable:love: