Trainig My First Puppy

cookie06

i have a pug dog she is three months old and i am having problem to train her :( so i want some help plssssssss frndzz give me some tips to train cookie

sara

Staff member
My first advice to every new dog owner is to read these three books

"Reaching the Animal Mind" by Karen Pryor

"The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson

"The Dog Vinci Code" by John Rogerson

These are 3 different styles of training, but they're all positive based, and will give you a good start on teaching your puppy. You can buy all three on Amazon.

On this forum, we are all mostly positive trainers. None of us will recommend corrections or punishment. Keep everything fun for your puppy, and he'll want to learn.

cookie06

My first advice to every new dog owner is to read these three books

"Reaching the Animal Mind" by Karen Pryor

"The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson

"The Dog Vinci Code" by John Rogerson

These are 3 different styles of training, but they're all positive based, and will give you a good start on teaching your puppy. You can buy all three on Amazon.

On this forum, we are all mostly positive trainers. None of us will recommend corrections or punishment. Keep everything fun for your puppy, and he'll want to learn.
thank u sooo much i will surely read!!!!!

Dlilly

Honored Member
This is how I taught Shiloh, Delilah, and Chance shake. Chance learned it in only 1 day! o.O

First, your dog must understand the clicker or a marker word. I like to say "yes." Chance learned this with a marker word, but I'm going to use the word "click" so I don't confuse anyone. ;)

I simply lift the dog's paw, and click as I raise it.. Repeat that about 5-8 times during each training session.

Once he got the hang of it, I then try to get him to give me his paw on his own. I just pokec his paw until he give it to me. If he didn't, I'd go back a step and keep on lifting his paw.

Once he gave me his paw on his own reliably, I then added the cue "shake."

I hope this helps!

charmedwolf

Staff member
I am moving this to "General Dog Training" as this is not a training challange. Please remember to post in the appropriate catagory.